Monday, September 08, 2008

Matrimony:

"The act of marrying, or the state of being married; legal union of a man and a woman for life, as husband and wife; wedlock; matrimony."
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary.

That's as detailed a definition as I could find of this enlightened concept. However, it's worth mentioning that two months from now, I will have just entered this state. Is it like evolving? Maybe it's a form of transcendence? After all, scripture uses such mysterious language to describe it: "the two shall become one flesh." Kind of freaky -- as a child, you may have envisioned something akin to Siamese twins when you heard this read (but you can be sure I didn't)!

The important thing is that I'm going to suddenly be a better person, right? After all, if the two of us are going to balance each other out why wouldn't that create a more perfect person in each of us?

Yeah, think again -- before every pastor in the country starts commenting, offering me premarital counseling.

The truth is, I am well aware that some things are not going to change; some sins will not just shrivel and die -- it may feel like they are harder to conquer when it comes right down to it. If, for example, I'm am prone to snap at my siblings, what's going to protect my wife, with whom I intend to spend the rest of my earthly life?

It's a sobering prospect. However, we serve a gracious God. If He can supply the humility I need to daily lay down my life, I am not ashamed to be confident and to relish the thought of what the future can hold.

Labels: ,

<< Home 2 Comments:
Blogger Robert Marshall Murphy said...

Congratulation. Post the date as soon as you decide!

2:29 AM, September 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats from me too!

I think that although we bring old habits to marriage, we get to form new ones based on grace - the grace of my husband to forgive me when I am grumpy and allow me to develop the discipline of a good attitude, for example. What an adventure you're in for! :) Best wishes with all of the planning, but mostly big congrats!

Beth R. in CA

7:05 AM, September 12, 2008  

Post a Comment