Monday, January 30, 2006

Old Smokey

It's good to finally get a car that not only is old--older than your previous--but also looks it!

She's a beauty to me anyway. Picture will be forthcoming I'm sure. Old Smokey is her name--for several reasons: she's as old as me, smokes a little, and she's gray with some “age spots” too.

First several chores (not counting the fiscal and legal process) toward driving her today:

New battery

De-rust the door hinges,

Put my parking pass on the mirror

Apply some new fluid in appropriate places...

And check to make sure the windows, blinkers, heater, etc., are at least marginally workable.

Check, check, check, check...and check.

Future goals for Old Smokey's maintenance:

Drive like an old man (never over 75mph--shakes too much)

Install some semblance of a workable sound system...with at least some of the left side speakers emitting sound

Vacuum the carpet sometime soon

Figure out how to alter the divers seat so the lumbar isn't pushing my stomach into the bottom of the steering wheel even though I am trying to reach the wheel with my arms without hunching like...um, like a hunchback...

And I should probably get the old wasp nest out of the driver's door--just in case they decide to recommit themselves come spring.
<< Home 10 Comments:
Blogger Kristi said...

LOL!!
...you know, everything sounded almost tolerable until you got to the wasp nest part...you lost me there.
Have fun!!

12:32 AM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

Great news!! Woo-Hoo!! But do I have to wait for the pictures to find out what kind of car it is? I'm chompin' at the bit here, ya know?

2:24 AM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Joshua said...

Congratulations on your new aquisition...I guess?
I hope it lasts for you.

4:56 AM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger workaholic said...

I like the description, everything except the make and model

10:55 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Mark said...

Goodness...this is pretty bad. I guess I just assumed you would know Nathan. It's THE old 84 Honda (i.e. as old as me). I shouldn't act like it's so exclusive though. I just saw an identical one for sale along the Hannagan--I should check it out for parts maybe.

7:59 AM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hey Congratulations on the car.

11:46 AM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Mike said...

Honda what?

Good choice.

8:06 AM, February 02, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

Dude! Cool! 1984 Honda Accord, 5-spd, 4-cyl, charcoal, rusted, Aunt Linda's old car: ultra-cool!

8:30 AM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

4 doors, too!

8:31 AM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

I forget... Does it have under or over 200,000 miles?

8:32 AM, February 05, 2006  

Post a Comment