Thursday, February 18, 2010

The American Patriot's WHAT?

I'm trying really hard to understand how this could possibly be a beneficial publication. What was Thomas Nelson publishing thinking by creating an American Patriot's Bible?

Since when is there a version of the bible best suited to a particular group of people? I thought the Word was the Word, the gospel is the gospel, and that Christ's kingdom is not of this world. Best explanation I guess is this quote from the Web site:

The American Patriot's Bible intersects the teachings of the Bible with the history of the Unites States while applying it to today's culture.
This kind of thing irks me in the same way that "conservative" pastors do when they complain that they can't make political endorsements under their nonprofit status. Frankly, I think every minister of the word, regardless of his political affiliation, should be too in love with the gospel to preach anything else.

Labels: , ,

<< Home 2 Comments:
Blogger Robert Marshall Murphy said...

Amen to that!

8:47 PM, February 18, 2010  
Blogger Jesse said...

I have to say, I saw that Bible displayed in the front window of a Christian bookstore as I was walking by, and just about went in and started turning over tables.

As if there's any link between American patriotism and the Bible. It's the marriage of those ideals that caused the German church to celebrate when Hitler came to power.

9:27 AM, February 19, 2010  

Post a Comment