Saturday, October 02, 2004

And speaking of Númenor...

For myself, I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Arnor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not as a mistress of many slaves, nay not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise.
-Faramir
The Two Towers


That's one of my favorite quotes from the Lord of the Rings. I lost it for a while, not remembering the exact placement in the story. While I was in New York, I had a little time to jump into the text again the weekend before coming home. I found it and was able to copy it down.
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger Kristi said...

That *is* a good quote...I like it. I can apply to other things (maybe I shouldn't, maybe I should just appreciate it for the context that it is in, but I can't help it. Especially since I am not quite as familiar with Numenor as you are).

11:08 PM, October 03, 2004  
Blogger Mark said...

Yes, that makes sense. The last person I showed it to wasn't really all that familiar with Númenor either and found alternate application for it as well. I'm sure there are many ways it will strike people. I know many might think of America and her War on Terror. True, we are not as old a picture as is painted in Númenor but there are many common threads--like the mention of not being even a "kind mistress of willing slaves;" the point being the freedom, nobility, and dignity of her people.

Wow... There's more there than I even thought at first!

11:41 PM, October 03, 2004  
Blogger Kristi said...

yeah...that's more than what I thought of too...that's true though. Makes sense. My interpretation still needs some polishing I'm afraid ;)

12:31 AM, October 09, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice.

11:37 PM, October 19, 2004  

Post a Comment