Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The crunchy details

It was a beautiful evening to be driving west on that stretch of Kok Rd. just before the Guide…

Ok, so some guy turned left out of the new Rite Aid parking lot and right into me as I was driving by. I had my lights on so that makes it even more ridiculous. Be that as it may, I noticed the car moving toward my door so I kept my speed up, hoping I could squeeze by or maybe he would take the sunglasses off or something. Since neither of these scenarios played out, I was forced to accept a jolt to the side of my trunk, whereupon I glanced behind me and turned into the DQ lot to inspect the damaged goods that was my trunk. The tall dark-haired guy with a tie and five-o-clock shadow inspected the corner of his Buick (Read: Big Ugly Indestructible Car Killer), and confirmed that there was only a rub mark on his bumper from the rubber strip on my car. However, there is a wheel-sized cavity on Old Smokey's side.

I remember saying (and I don't recommend this to anyone) "she's seen worse." Then I said I didn't care and goodbye. Folks. That was dumb, so be sure to get at least some reliable contact info if such a happenstance befalls you. I'm not saying anything bad has happened because of this but you shouldn't go by what you can see to assess the damage. In this case, I was just glad he missed my back wheel.

Concluding thoughts: Buicks are mean and nasty, and also annoying when driven by someone with no apparent depth perception, or outright blindness, accompanied by a, tie, five-o-clock shadow...and a boned-fish handshake.
<< Home 8 Comments:
Blogger Mike said...

I hate Buicks.

8:03 AM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger Crystal said...

I am glad you are ok Mark...Sorry about the car. Hadn't ever seen that version of "BUICK" but definetly some truth to it even if you haven't ever been on the loosing side with one. On the other hand if you are behind the wheel there isn't much that can get you short of a semi driving over you so that could be an advantage! I hope you told Smokey how proud you were of her standing up against that big bully. LOL

10:48 AM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger sarah said...

Mark, my brother, you need some serious information on accident protocol 101. What if you found out later that there is actually more damage than a "wheel-sized cavity on Old Smokey's side?" This is why you and every other driver out there is insured, Mark - if for no other reason than to teach the five-o'clock-shadow guy to keep his eyes open when driving in the future. Believe me, if there had been more damage to his vehicle, he could possibly be thinking about how to claim that the contact was your fault.

Rules: (never break these!)

1. Always exchange contact information. This means driver's license numbers, insurance policy numbers, phone numbers, etc.

2. Take down contact information of any witnesses. Get statements if the witness is from out of town.

3. If you happen to have a camera, take photos of damage to both vehicles as well as pics of the scene. This will hopefully keep everyone honest.

4. Write out a statement of events. Make this as complete as you can - you will have trouble remembering details later.

5. Consider calling the police to make an official report, especially if there is significant vehicle or property damage. Always remember that personal injury is not always noticed immediately, i.e. whiplash, etc.

6. Never make any statements regarding your intent (or nonintent. . . is that a word?) to claim damages later.

Remember that you are given your possessions in trust from God. Accidents devalue those possessions. Don't say that you "don't care." Be a good steward, Mark. This man owes you probably a couple hundred dollars or so. (BTW, is the car paid for?) It is one thing to forgive a debt and quite another to be foolish with our money, since now you will have to pay for any damage.

I am sorry if I sound like a "know-it-all, Mark. I learned the hard way, remember? Don't copy my mistakes.

11:25 AM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Kristi said...

Thanks for the info Sarah--I should use it too. I'm afraid I responded the same way when I had a "car bump" on the Guide.
I'm glad you and Smokey are okay Mark!

12:04 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Mark said...

Sarah: I could have predicted you would be the one to tell me this.

4:31 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Mark said...

and....

the car is not damaged. It is slightly dented. I am not damaged in the slightest...and no I didn't lose any money. I didn't even forgive him because there was nothing to forgive beyond a slight indentation...

Old Smokey is 22 years old and didn't lose any of his vim or vigor.

But you are right. :D

4:36 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger sarah said...

Hey, you have to admit that I learned my lesson, right?! Oh, the pain of that particular lesson! :(

7:04 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger sarah said...

And you have to admit that a "wheel-sized cavity" sounds much worse than your latest description: "a slight indentation."

7:09 PM, April 28, 2006  

Post a Comment