Monday, January 08, 2007

Time

"You've got time Mark."

It's been a recurring refrain recently, coming mostly from people who are older than I. However, I don't feel like I have a lot of time. Is it strange to have aging and the drumbeat of time constantly on my mind the last few days--I mean, to the extent that I start comparing metaphors for old age in my head as if I were trying to write my autobiography already: a worn-out tennis shoe, a threadbare couch...? I don't know why but memory loss and gray hair never felt so close.

But the merit of these thoughts is typically evaluated on the basis of the context. When I'm talking about school and graduating from Western, I can tend to be the one who thinks: "You've got time Mark." But when it comes to other issues, more long-range personal goals intrinsic to growing up, I tend to be the one protesting that very line when I hear it repeated by well-intending friends.

Twenty-two, with an almost-degree--the conclusion of which tends to move into the future swiftly ahead of me--a full-time job and plenty of responsibilities and extras to distract me from aforementioned conclusion...

Where will I be in 5 years? I can hardly guess. I remember someone once told me that the books you read and the friends you have are the best measure of where you will be in that amount of time. By the book-estimation alone, I would be going nowhere since I don't seem to have much time for reading now.

There, now you've got your daily shot of morbid anticipation. Enjoy the rest of your day.
<< Home 6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh Mark, if you're getting old, where does that put the rest of your siblings? And most of the rest of your friends, while we're at it?
PS - I knew you couldn't resist that quiz.

10:04 PM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger sarah said...

Wow, Baby Brother! I must have at least one foot in the grave by now. Hey don't worry, I didn't start my life's work (getting married and raising these kids) until I was 26. You got another four years before you can panic! Oh, the grey hair thing can happen even to the very young. Yes, I speak from experience and I am young! Yes, Mark, you've got time - but don't waste it!

6:28 AM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Gloria said...

Wow that was a little depressing. But I can see what you are saying kind of. But don't worry I think you do have "time". :)

2:29 PM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Nathan said...

You know that I know what you mean. I feel the clock ticking, too. But then, for me, it's a little more legit. And, I don't have that whole almost done with college-or what have you-to consider. So, I guess that means I aught to get on the ball, right? Don't worry. I'm working on it.

3:52 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Crystal said...

Don't worry Mark you are completely normal, or at least so in my world because I have had these very same converstations with myself and others. In my case I already have a few gray hairs! Further more my thoughts include long term care planning for my parents. If that isn't a little morbid at the ripe old age of 26 or 27 I don't know what is! This two shall pass I am pretty sure.

6:24 PM, January 11, 2007  
Blogger Robert Marshall Murphy said...

Well the book thing has certainly panned out in my life! Start reading NOW!!!

5:07 AM, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment