Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Taking stock

Do you feel depressed and ready to disengage from the body politic? Do you feel a bit helpless, knowing those who represent your point of view hold little official power anymore (especially here in Washington State)? Do you feel a bit bitter perhaps? How about fearful?

I only name those options off because I can relate to every one of those feelings to some degree. Just hold on, though. Go ahead and think what you want about the election, but keep in mind a few things:

1) "The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, like the rivers of water. He turns it wherever He wishes." God is sovereign.

2) We did not just elect preacher in chief. If you are a Christian, commit yourself anew to shedding the light of Christ -- the only REAL power to change hearts and lives. Use the left's hysterical focus of adoration on a mere man as a reminder to focus YOUR faith on the "Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Stop looking to government and political figures for your salvation.

3) Lastly (appropriately so), don't be afraid to get involved yet again in the process of electing our leaders. Remember, that doesn't mean placing faith in them. Do it because the essence of God's law is to love your neighbor as yourself, and that means seek his good in every area. Also, educate yourself on the issues. I don't mean read talking points. I mean, learn to understand what you believe more perfectly (or adjust them if need be. Don't settle for a superficial understanding of the free market and capitalism. Learn the origins of the concept of private property and free speech. Learn to study history IN DETAIL and don't doom yourself to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Here's a video I thought you might be interested in watching if you have the time.

Labels:

<< Home 4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the religious people drove me out of the republican party long ago.

If the republicans want to me more than a regional power they will drop the god bullshit and start talking about the issues.

9:50 PM, November 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, please excuse my above comment. I had a little too much fun celebrating. Sorry for the ignorant post.

But what will the Republican party do? I have known many business types in my family give up on the party because they are sick of the religious right.

So how does the party stay fresh? I don't think Palin is the answer. She destroyed the McCain campaign.

JRA

10:08 PM, November 06, 2008  
Blogger Mark said...

JRA: No problem. I'm busy with my wedding so I had put off answering your comment.

But since you offered a more accessible comment now, I'll jump it.

The GOP needs a few essentials to get back in the game:

1) solid grounding in the free market. This is the single most unifying thing about the party, and what brought the religious right together with libertarians under Reagan. While I must say that I would love to see abortion illegal, I don't vote based on the faith of the contender. Classic example is Mike Huckabee. The guy was practically as liberal on the economy and big government as Clinton.

2) I believe a new caucus of "term limits" advocates would be the best thing to hit congress in a century. I believe we need to do away with the career politician if possible. Congressmen pass legislation to get elected again and not for the good of the country. That's the number one reason for the high rate of incumbency in the house of representatives.

As far as Palin is concern, she became famous first as a corruption fighter. When the media and her political enemies tarnished that with false charges of ethics violations (which were dismissed just a day before the election), we all forgot what made her so attractive to the electorate. She will mature as a public servant I believe. Her influence will be felt down the road no matter what.

She did not destroy the McCain campaign. The fact is, the most conservative of the party are the "base." McCain did not have the support of that base before she joined. Some jumped ship granted, but not nearly as much as he gained by picking her.

11:53 PM, November 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwqbxrgcw_o&feature=related

JRA

12:19 AM, November 08, 2008  

Post a Comment