Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Fries with that?

It's hot outside (by pacific northwest standards) I'm off work and walking into a coffee shop to do some reading and maybe some writing as well. I order a drink--a 16 oz vanilla latte. Then comes an interesting question.

"Would you like that iced or hot?"

Any sane person would ask for it iced on a day like this and I should have been no exception--but I was. Somehow I felt like I was standing up for some great moral truth by insisting that I have my latte hot on a hot day! It was good to stand up for something so important! I had given in before and regretted it so I wasn't about to make the same mistake again!

For those who are waiting for this to turn into a deeply philosophical post, I'm afraid I must disappoint you this time. Don't be too put out with me, though, for I do have an explanation.

It just so happens that I am not a great reader. I have several methods of reading and one of them is, of all things, to sit in a coffee shop and read with a drink in my hand. While a cold drink will not absolutely hinder me from reading, it will inadvertently disappear all too quickly and therefore lose all effect on my reading session before I had barely finished more than a page or two! Give me a hot drink, though, and it will stay there in my hand ever so long...long enough for me to make good strong in-roads on the material in front of me. You see it's the little stands like that which may affect the very information I carry with me for the rest of my life!

So yes, I drank a hot latte and you will be pleased to hear that I actually finished a book for once!
<< Home 5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! :)

~ Jason

6:25 AM, June 29, 2004  
Blogger Mark said...

Yes Jason...

and you will be pleased to learn that it was The Writing Life which I finally finished!

12:43 PM, June 29, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the force was especially strong that day ...

;)

~ Jason

11:21 PM, June 29, 2004  
Blogger Kristi said...

yes, yes, yes! As an "extra hot" coffee drinker-even on very hot days, I could not have said it better. "... It's the little stands like that which may affect the very information I carry with me for the rest of my life." (I liked that line ;)

9:25 PM, June 30, 2004  
Blogger Mark said...

Yes Kristi, and I recently almost regressed back to iced but held out one more time yet again!

12:00 PM, July 03, 2004  

Post a Comment