Thursday, October 27, 2005

Just the beginning

I won't be sappy and say this is a tragedy because it's totally the president's prerogative. I'm sure he had his reasons for withdrawing Harriet Miers’ nomination. I guess I figured it would be better to just give her a shot at the hearings instead of preemptively "borking" her. Not only did a potentially good justice not get a fair shake, the White House also just shot itself in the political foot. What chance is ANY candidate from Bush going to get if he is subject to the whims of political know-nothings like you and me and the far left in an area that the constitution gives him the sole prerogative. It's his job to do the nominating. The only veto we have is from the Senate. So why didn't the Senate get it's say?

I have never seen so many political opportunities open for the Democrats. Not only did they get to say she was a bad choice--and have Republicans agree--they also get to criticize conservatives for acting like liberal jerks. So what now? If the conservatives are happy with the next nomination, the liberals will be mad. Oops...
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger Nathan said...

I thought it was Miss Miers herself who pulled her own nomination, and the White House formally announced it. At least that's what the media people seem to be saying. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1:27 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

It's usually a mutual thing...officially she submitted a letter withdrawing her candidacy--that's only after an agreement though.

2:01 PM, October 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you a liberal?

If you aren't one, the more you are in the liberal environment you are in the more liberal you will become.

Either you will become more liberal or you will be emotionally destroyed.

Or you will lose your job.

For it is compromise, hide or be destroyed. Those are your options.

7:22 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

I sad and surprised when I heard that she had "pulled her nomination" I was just because of all the bad things said of her hoping she would make it.

9:47 PM, October 27, 2005  

Post a Comment