Sunday, October 23, 2005

Coburn: marking the boundries

I wonder if he will ever go to another dinner party again. Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma defied the Washington establishment by introducing legislation to slash pork spending to pay for Katrina rebuilding. Other senators, interested in keeping their precious pets back home happy, were quick to get hopping mad, as Mark Tapscott from the Heritage Foundation explained:
What Coburn got in response was pure bipartisan outrage. Sen. Patty Murray, the very liberal Washington Democrat, warned that any senator supporting the Coburn amendments would find projects in his or her own state getting the evil eye by annoyed colleagues who don't want to rock the log-rolling boat.

And Alaska's Ted Stevens, the Old Bull Republican moderate who has been one of the biggest obstacles in Congress to conservative reform since the Reagan administration, stood on the floor and thundered that he would leave the Senate if the Coburn proposal passed.
The amendments fail by a huge margin. Tapscott is a good read, though. Check it out. I heard elsewhere that Murry was angry at Coburn for condemning a proposed statue park (or something like that) somewhere in Seattle. The only way they have justified the project is by saying that they just need to make the land useful...

Coburn is one of the most principled people in America. He first served in the House of Representatives, but didn't stick around because he believes in term limits for congress members and had promised he would only serve a set number of terms. He kept his promise, took time of and then ran for the Senate and won.

Go get them again Tom!
<< Home 8 Comments:
Blogger Gloria said...

I'm sorry Mark but I don't think you are going to get a whole lot of comments on this.

4:46 PM, October 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the contrary, it's good to keep up with politics, and even better to learn of and support those at forefront of the battle. To sit in a corner and cover one's eyes merely obscures reality... for a time.
-Phoeffe.

10:07 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

Ok Mark, not on politics but the music is an interesting addition to the site! caught me a little by surprise at the begining but you have good taste so I enjoyed it! Would be nice if there was a way that it would just keep playing as long as you are at your site though instead of having to start over everytime you click away from the main page to comment...I know, picky, picky, picky! Sorry LOL

12:58 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Ya! I heard the music too. And could not figure where on earth it was coming from. *giggle* I was have a blonde moment there for a minute. Anyway very nice.

2:00 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Gloria...thanks for challenging people to comment on the "boring political" posts. I still post them because it is a part of me and therefore must be a part of my writing. I some people read them even though they don't tend to comment, and really, I would post a lot more political stuff if I had the time.

Phoeffe...I guess I'll continue to call you that on here as long as you use that name :) ...it's up to you. I agree with your sentiment. Part of posting on issues like this is to make the din just a little bit louder out there--even if it is only by a miniscual bit--it needs to be bolstered.

YAY...someone noticed the music! I originally had Cash's "When the Man Comes Around" ...maybe I should put it back up for a bit. I'll try to change it more often--hard to find songs that won't sound dumb on this kind of blog.

3:33 PM, October 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I log onto your site every time I go on the net, to hear the music. Just ask my bro -he's probably a little sick of Krowse by now :)
-Phoeffe... uh... Ruth ;)

8:35 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hey Mark! By all means keep posting the "political" stuff. I like to read them even if I don't post. My Dad says you are the only one who ever posts something worth reading so that has be a hint that someone likes your blog.

8:56 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Rebekah said...

What does that mean!?

"Sen. Patty Murray, the very liberal Washington Democrat, warned that any senator supporting the Coburn amendments would find projects in his or her own state getting the evil eye by annoyed colleagues..."

Can they do that? That is...is...outragious! It sounds a bit like black mail to me--but then, what do I know about these matters? Nada.

6:11 AM, October 25, 2005  

Post a Comment