Tuesday, October 25, 2005

So conservative they look liberal

I had an early distaste for the tactics that GOP haters...er...critics of Harriet Miers have employed in trying to scuttle her nomination. They have fooled themselves into thinking they are taking a stand for principled conservatism, while all the while missing their own hypocrisy. The confirmation of Roberts was won primarily by debunking the myth that nominees needed to answer personal question and reveal privileged documents. Roberts stood fast and refused to answer hypothetical questions, brilliantly citing the Ginsberg confirmation hearings as precedent for his silence, winning general admiration even among those who were frustrated by his dodge.

And now...as soon as the "base" thinks they can't totally trust a nominee to be a carbon copy of themselves, they jump on the liberal bandwagon demanding the very hypothetical answers and privileged information Roberts and co. fought so hard to protect.

So for the first time, I suspect we are having conservatives partaking in the so-called "borking" of a nominee. I'm incensed. I began with just as much skepticism and disappointment as everyone else, and now I find I am totally dismayed. You see, if Miers is successfully borked by her own friendlies (as seems likely), there is an even greater chance of never again getting a strong constitutionalist on the bench of the United States Supreme Court.
<< Home 3 Comments:
Blogger Kristi said...

I so agree with you. I'm especially disappointed with Ann Coulters. I wish she would have taken a few more deep breaths and moments of pondering before she went off on her tirade. It WAS easy to be disappointed at first, but the closer I looked at the whole situation, the more saddened I was at the conservatives who relentlessly slammed her. I feel like we've lost something through this childish outrage from the right

11:00 AM, October 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember Bork being Borked?

I do. I remember how they even looked into his video rental records and found out that he rented "Star Chamber".

The liberals showed themselves there as being what they always show themselves as being -ruthless. If we aren't more so they win.

Either that matters to you or it doesn't.

Liberals are evil. But you have to give them credit for one thing. They Know How to Win. They know how to wield political power to get what they want. If you don't learn from your enemy you will continued to be defeated by them. If conservatives can't learn from the liberals and adapt their tactics to our use, we will always lose to them.

So, I guess I would say yeah, I am so conservative that I look liberal. I won. I am proud that we "borked" a candidate that was going to be proven a lightweight or a liberal or both.

Bush has now the opportunity to pick a true conservative for the Supreme Court. And if he fails to do that I will stay home. And I won't be the only one.

Without us, republicans can't win. And it is too late in the game to continue to "vote for the lesser of two evils" as that is how we have gotten to the desperate shape we are now in.

10:10 PM, October 28, 2005  
Blogger Kristi said...

BTW Mark, I LOVE the background song!

10:22 PM, October 28, 2005  

Post a Comment