Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Starbucks in dutchville!

I write this from the only comparable coffee shop in Lynden--the one that has had a rare virtual micro-monopoly on the north county coffee sales since 2002. It looks though like The Woods Coffee is about to feel the sting of the free market finally. Starbucks is planning a store right across the street, next to Rite Aid!

I've heard a number of rumors in the past--that Starbucks had been kept out of Lynden deliberately--something I just can't believe. I am surprised though, that it took so long for Starbies to get here. What took them so long?

In other news, Woods is close to opening yet another location in the new building at the Fairway Center...plus vague plans (that I've been hearing about for too long) for future expansion in Bellingham.

Let the coffee wars begin!!!

Labels:

<< Home 7 Comments:
Blogger Brandy said...

eeeewwww.. I hate Starbucks :P nasty burnt coffee :)

8:48 PM, September 12, 2006  
Blogger Gloria said...

Well I'm not much of a coffee person... But I'm glad you found some joy in that.

9:39 PM, September 12, 2006  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I hereby pledge my unfailing allegience to the small-town, locally owned, charmingly themed coffee shop of our very own.

9:21 AM, September 13, 2006  
Blogger Mark said...

Well beka...I figured you might say that--I'll still be here a lot because of the connection (and I'll tell them that in case they decide they might want to start charging for it). But still, I won't have complete loyalty to either one because Starbucks has the better coffee and a squeaky clean reputation and anti-union stance. Why not support them too?

4:18 PM, September 13, 2006  
Blogger Mike said...

Does starbucks sell Mountain Dew?

5:33 PM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger Mel said...

lol...

Coffee rules!

10:35 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Crystal said...

Thanks Mark for getting my blog back up and running! You know I just heard about the new starbucks while sitting in Woods the other day but I didn't hear where it was going to be. Interesting. Then I saw the new location for another Woods? I wonder how many coffee shops Lynden will be able to handle? That will be 5...interesting. Personally since I don't drink coffee it won't matter too much to me. Actually I think Woods has a better selection for non-coffee drinkers but I suppose since I go to such places to meet up with people it will depend on where the people I want to meet are going! I know that sounds very wishy washy but so be it on this issue!

12:48 AM, September 17, 2006  

Post a Comment