Saturday, March 19, 2005

The beacons are out

Our family computer, from which most of my word-smithing is done, is down. The hard drive sounds like it's pretty well fried. We are so busy with other things that we haven't had the chance to touch it either. I'm on my grandpa's computer at the moment--the keyboard is driving me around the bend (nothing like a half-sized backspace key to get under my skin)!

This whole situation is not a little disconcerting too because I have been forced out of covering Terri's tube removal in Florida--not to mention the burst of unused intellectual left-overs from last quarter have not had their proper outlet, causing the vast majority of them to die quietly--hehe, maybe that's a good thing.

Last night I attended a party with a diverse group of friends and thoroughly enjoyed myself. During one conversation, the subject of the computer failure came up and it was jokingly pointed out that I was going through withdrawal. I speculated in return-tongue-in-cheek that maybe my life is lived between two beacons...coffee and internet.

While this estimation is a little over the top, I can't help but think there is something to the internet part. I know what it is like now to be incredibly restless because I can't blog! I know what it is like to not have access to my usual news sources for blogging inspiration. It's incredible actually because some of it is because I have made everyone else depend on the internet to get a hold of me. It's a rare moment when you can catch me on the phone on a normal schoolday--and I don't do the cell phone thing...I'm too poor.

So do I need to do some evaluating of my priorities and "needs?" It certainly can't hurt anything. Restless or not, I know there are things I have to do here on the web and I don't see anything changing that in the near future. But I shouldn't let it rule may frame of mind. After all, it can't be healthy to have intermittent panic attacks each time I think about my predicament.
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger CelloChic said...

Having internet withdrawels are we? I think you need to find more outlets of communication or writing.
I had to wait for TWO MONTHS during our move before I could check email or do anything on the web from my home PC. I thought I wouldn't make it...

11:34 AM, March 22, 2005  
Blogger sarah said...

Hey Mark, try the computers at the library - they are free and they have high-speed internet! I am typing on one right now - very nice. BTW, did Nate leave yesterday?

1:10 PM, March 22, 2005  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Aaaaaach! I was absolutely at my wits end pouting about my neglected blog and email...

But its back! The comp has been rejuvinated by Raphael and I'm a happy clam!!

5:28 PM, March 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I went thru internet/email withdrawl for a long time. In fact, I've only had access to an internet computer for about 1 year now because my dad was too afraid of viruses. Now, I don't want it to leave - it's my only window to the world and my friends - besides, mailing is too expensive!
Keep on posting Mark - you usually give me something to ponder about!

8:49 AM, March 23, 2005  

Post a Comment