Monday, October 03, 2005

Minutemen are here

Wherever they go, they make waves. The mere mention of the Minutemen and their activities on the border is enough to make the typical Bellinghamster cluck in disdain. Today I was a little incensed when a fellow Klipsun writer announced her feature on the Minutemen. She felt it necessary to explain who they were... "Those border watchers who carry guns and say they are peaceful but are not..." Objectivity...um...not quite. I felt like calling up the Minutemen and telling them to not give her any interviews because it really wasn't worth their time.

Local coverage hasn't been huge but it's been interesting nonetheless. The first story in the Herald had lot of basic info straight from the project, which surprised me--most papers would consider that level of reliance on one source to be biased. But it was worth it in this case because they had a lot of clarification to do. After their description of themselves, one is hard pressed to think of them has causing any harm--they do some pretty intensive screenings of members and limit themselves to zero contact with illegals.

Harmlessness notwithstanding, the local village idiots still found something to protest on Saturday. What were they protesting? Well from what I can see, I guess they are protesting the border's existence. What else can I conclude when I see a sign reading "No one is illegal?" Huh?

Conclusion: strange events make for strange people.

Crossposted at Western Washington Unraveled
<< Home 8 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And then strange people make for even stranger events...

9:16 AM, October 04, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Yeah, you might say that. I suppose though my agreement is conditional on the context and perhaps even the identity of the commenter.

Sorry, I'm a little cynical of complete anonymity.

7:03 AM, October 05, 2005  
Blogger Patty-Jo said...

Hey Dude, you are completely upside-down! What fun!

I read a comment from a protester in the local paper the other day. She was all upset because those terrible racist vigilantes were targeting the poor Mexicans who were trying to sneak across our southern border. For shame! And now I suppose they will be targeting those poor defenceless Canadians. Disgraceful!

Wouldn't it be fun to be part of the action?

1:04 AM, October 06, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

I got this email or really there are two of them. I should forward them to you. You might like them.

11:09 PM, October 06, 2005  
Blogger SpaceNeedleBoy said...

So do the protesters think we should have a totally unrestricted border?? Do they think entry into the United States by potentially dangerous people or terrorists is an inalienable right?

Nice visiting your blog site!

8:25 PM, October 08, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

Interesting events! I hadn't read the BH article till now and I didn't realize that the whole Minuteman thing was only going on for a short time. I thought it was going to be an ongoing thing. The article made it sound like it was only through Oct.
I won't even get started on the illegal alien thing...

10:11 PM, October 08, 2005  
Blogger Nathan said...

Ya know, I've been thinking that if I were to "quit" my job and come home, I might just join the Minutemen patroling our border. Or maybe the border patrol. Fun, though, Patty-Jo, may be just scratching the surface when describing the "action". You know, drug runners often come (well)armed. But then the Minutemen's policy is: (I think the words are) Observe, Report, Direct. And they look for anyone crossing the border, not one particular type of activity. So, even though the Minutemen are for the most part armed, the intent is not to confront or apprehend.

So... Hmmm... Yeah, I think it would be an honor to help watch our border.

8:43 AM, October 09, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

I'm not going to bug you but... You kind of need to post something new. I mean I like going to blog because you always seem to have news and a new post. So just keep in touch.

4:10 PM, October 09, 2005  

Post a Comment