Monday, November 07, 2005

Chivalry comes to Western

Walking into the room a little early wasn't enough to grant me a seat. For once we were going to have class in the lab--all 35-or-so many of us, spreading ourselves among the 20 chairs. We had been warned to come extra early if we wanted to secure one of the plush computer chairs.

I wasn't concerned, though. I had already passed on the idea of even trying for one. I made my way to the back wall and sat on the floor, engrossed with a fellow student on a mutual project we had.

The room started to fill up with more floor sitters and suddenly Matt got up with a look of impatience...

"Caleb, get up! You too Chris! Let one of the others sit down," he said referring to the group of females by the door.

Matt is an interesting guy. No student in the journalism program is more respected. I say that with complete conviction because I respect him too (yes, even though he did beat me out for the Tribune internship--that was a no-brainer). He was Editor in Chief for my first quarter on The Western Front, and before then, he set the record for the most writing points accumulated by a reporter on the Front. Despite his high-powered abilities and skills, I sometimes think he's the most easy-going, even-tempered student at Western.

For my part, I do what I can on my own but the thought never crossed my mind to openly tell someone else they should practice it too. I guess if any student is going to be outspoken enough to promote chivalry in his fellow students, it would be Matt.

Crossposted at Western Washington Unraveled
<< Home 5 Comments:
Blogger Nathan said...

Yo, Bro! You need to get on the ball. Didn't Mom teach us good enough manners for you to remember to offer your seat, however low to the ground it may be? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Chivalry is kind of strange in the military. It's there, somewhat, but you kind of have to pick and choose the situations to show extra courtesy to the "female service members". Some appreciate/accept it more than others. Most women in the military that I've met aren't the type to resent the kind of respect that you and I were raised to show toward them.

That being said, I'm kind of thankful that my shop is currently all male. I'm not sure exactly how things would change here if we were to get a new female troop. But hopefully she wouldn't be the type to accept/encourage the vulgarity that goes on around here, but perhaps graciously, though firmly let people know that she's not the type to join in that kind of stuff(to put it lamely). But perhaps that's all wishful thinking. Anyway, God's will be done.

Well, I'm glad that Chivalry has come to Western. May it stay for a long, long time.

1:03 AM, November 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see how this Matt-fellow is respected. Awesome that he encourages others to show courtesy. And this girl appreciates chivalry! -Beth

8:57 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

That is awesome! Long live the Matts of this world. I used to be one of those girls that didn't appreciated chivarlry properly but today I am happy to say I regret there is not more of it. of course you guys are wonderful but aside from that there needs to be more of it! LOL

9:23 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger Joshua said...

I really respect that Matt did that. Here in Texas, at a Christian University, the girls pretty much expect guys to be chivalrous so it is pretty easy, but I know when I went to Whatcom it was way harder. I remember when I would hold the door for a girl and she would intentionally walk through the other door. Fun stuff. Were you there in DC when Esther suggested a reply for that situation Mark?
"I'm not holding the door because you are a lady, but because I am a gentleman."
Fortunately, I haven't had to use that here in the 'South'.

7:20 AM, November 09, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

I can't even imagine having the time to say something that long before someone was completely across the room and up the stairs. It's really not too bad here as doors go. But more often then not, I end up holding the door for a friend anyway.

7:59 AM, November 09, 2005  

Post a Comment