Thursday, January 05, 2006

'God's land'

I've never been more appalled by the antics of many in the so called religious right--yes, I'm also a member of the religious right, I guess. But still, I'm always tempted to crawl under a rock and hide from this group when one prominent member starts spouting off about Israel being "God's land," as if God has set up some kind of mystical border around that country.

From the AP:

The Reverend Pat Robertson says Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's massive stroke could be God's punishment for giving up Israeli territory.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network told viewers of "The 700 Club" that Sharon was "dividing God's land," even though the Bible says doing so invites "God's enmity."

Robertson added, "I would say woe to any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course."

He noted that former Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated.

Robertson said God's message is, "This land belongs to me. You'd better leave it alone."
I know I'm probably stepping on a lot of toes by expressing my extreme frustration. Life as a politically involved Reformed Christian often means enduring the lot of the theological minority.

"My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence" John 18:36 KJV
<< Home 4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
You are not alone! Infact, because of Pat and the like, some of us have stopped using the term "Christian" because it carries so much baggage with it. Jesus is raising up followers who are more interested in him than a religious or political agenda.

Blessings,

Paul from NYC

5:01 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Joshua said...

I know what you mean. I find it humorous and rather sad. I think it is even more funny when people call the States the "New Israel".

It is interesting though that God draws back the Jews to himself in the end times and has Israel play such a major role...but I agree with you that right now from what I read in the Bible there is no such thing as "God's land" - Israel or America :)

5:32 PM, January 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This pro-Isreal junk is a by-product of crummy, Dispensational theology. They all read "Left Behind" and take Revelation to be saying that God will restore the nation of Isreal as Jews. I find it impossible to believe that God will overlook anyone's rejection of His Son (Himself) and bless them as a nation based on genealogy, again.
We must not, however, throw out the baby with the bath water: they will know we are Christian by our love for one another, even when we're being as dumb as posts.

9:37 AM, January 12, 2006  
Blogger Mark said...

Well said Robert--thanks for the comment. It certainly wouldn't do to overreact. It seems we should probably let Robertson deal with his own problems considering a few of his business ventures in Israel have been hurt by his rash words.

11:01 AM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment