Thursday, February 08, 2007

Tips to keeping me honest

Imagine this (the easy part of this lesson):

You run into me somewhere in the ordinary course of the day and you ask me an important albeit unappreciated question.

"Hey how are you Mark?"

"I'm good," I say in response (substitute with "I'm alright" "Not too bad" "Just grand" or whatever you wish if you feel the need).

A few of the wiser folk might like to pick through my answer by saying something like "Just good?" and I will generally dodge the request for more detail unless there is something in particular that I can safely share like "long day, you know..." or what have you.

But let me warn you before you just take my answer at face value: There may be signs to my status that can better be observed than related word-of-mouth. Consider a few examples:

1: I'm standing at the counter of some business, busily filling out my name and number for some reason or other. Suddenly the last couple digits to my phone number vanish from my mind...like they never existed. The person behind the counter raises a puzzled eyebrow as I pause for ten dramatic seconds to retrieve the missing digits from some dark corner of grey matter. "hmmmm...so how are you doing these days..."

2: I yawn...stretch as I grab a pen to clock out. I glance at the calender and notice it has finally been turned to February. Already there are various coworkers who are marking time off in order to find respite from the recent endless overtime. Those not on the calender just call in sick. It's only Tuesday though and you are feeling it. You look and notice the date of your birthday and that triggers a horrible feeling of lostness. How old am I anyway? I probe desparately into the past, searching for clues to my age. I finally latch onto one...it was my golden birthday last year...that makes me 22. *sigh*

The rest of the week is fine, I know who I am, how old I am...I even remember that I'm an idiot for "living" with so little sleep. Life is good it seems until I forget my phone number once again...and then in the vary same evening (tonight), I get this message from a friend:

"you know...i heard you tell someone that you're 23 last night...you know you're really only 22, right?"

*snif*
<< Home 9 Comments:
Blogger Kristi said...

You *know* how to remedy this now Mark.
Is sleep such a vicious enemy that you fight it at all cost?

11:47 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger Nathan said...

Dear brother, if indeed it is your job that makes you this way, then you might want to seriously (I mean that now) consider finding yourself another line of work.

For instance, those in my line of work in the "desert", sure they may work 12 hour days, 6 days a week, or something like that, but they don't have everything else in a normal life to keep track of. You know, lawns to mow, cars to maintain, grocery shopping, families....well....if only.

So anyway, if you're working more, you should be cutting out alot of other stuff......

...in order to get a healthy amount of sleep!

Now don't get the wrong impression, I'm merely suggesting that it might be good to take a few days and instead of trying to fit everything else in after work, just go to bed and sleep.

Best wishes. (God be with you!)

1:01 PM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger Kristi said...

Well said Nathan.

1:17 PM, February 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there more to this than sleep-deprivation? How ARE you, Mark?
Also, WHY are you depriving yourself of sleep? What's your goal? Is it worth it? Now dont give me "paycheck" because there are other jobs out there. Not to mention, I KNOW you dont plan on working with pallets all your life (which is STILL stretching out before you since you are STILL so young). Yes, I know. Who am I to be asking you these things since I dont intend on waitressing all MY life. But at least I know what I'm talking about. ;)

4:23 PM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger Gloria said...

Mark take from someone who doesn't sleep very well, you need to get more sleep. I have done the whole "forgetting your phone number thing" and much more. I strongly suggest you get more sleep before you break down and get sick. And 23 is not that old. When you turn 93 then come and tell me your old okay.

8:48 AM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger sarah said...

I agree with Jackie: there are other jobs out there - and I know you have goals and aspirations beyond the "paycheck." Mark, we all know you aren't sleeping enough, but judging from what I know of you and from the introspective tone of your more recent posts, you seem to be wrestling with big issues - even more than you let on. So while we may ask how you are doing, you may not need to answer right now. Just know that we are praying for God's direction in your life and that we love you.

Granted: sometimes our love manifests itself as a kick in the pants. . .

10:40 AM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Exactly what you said Sarah, except I think I'll leaving the kicking to older, more wiser feet. :)

Lovings Mark.

1:05 PM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Angela said...

LOL! I couldn't help but laugh out loud as I was reading this. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has days like this. :)

12:15 PM, February 14, 2007  
Blogger Crystal said...

Mark please don't do this to yourself for very long. I can't really say more than Nathan and the others but I am a littl worried about your. I haven't seen you in a while to know how you are really doing but this doesn't sound too good. There is more to life than work and running on too little sleep for very long is extreemly dangerous. I know how easy it is to get caught up with work and or other things to keep you "occupied" but the sooner you learn temperence and moderation in all things the better off you will be and so will the rest of us because we won't have to worry about you!

6:22 PM, February 16, 2007  

Post a Comment