Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sanity at Western?

Reinsertion.

My blog? Oh I still have a blog. I know I've seemingly abandoned it recently but considering the intensity of life in general right now I'm sure you will forgive my little hiatuses. It hurts because there are at least three different reviews I wanted to write of both books and movies and I've let all sorts of good topics escape my attention... And now for my official, for-the-moment reinsertion post:


***

UPDATE: The Bellingham Herald picked up the article for today's front page, building off the Western angle.

***

I'm just aghast. A geologist from Western Washington University was quoted in the NY Times recently hotly criticizing Al Gore.

In an article brought to my attention by Orbusmax and Newsbusters, Dr. Don J. Easterbrook, "an emeritus professor of geology at Western Washington University, told hundreds of experts at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America. 'But there are a lot of inaccuracies in the statements we are seeing, and we have to temper that with real data.'"

What can I say? That I have never been this proud of my home institution of higher learning? Perhaps in a certain shallow way…

I loved this quote though:
[Dr. Easterbrook] hotly disputed Mr. Gore’s claim that “our civilization has never experienced any environmental shift remotely similar to this” threatened change.

Nonsense, Dr. Easterbrook told the crowded session. He flashed a slide that showed temperature trends for the past 15,000 years. It highlighted 10 large swings, including the medieval warm period. These shifts, he said, were up to “20 times greater than the warming in the past century.”

Getting personal, he mocked Mr. Gore’s assertion that scientists agreed on global warming except those industry had corrupted. “I’ve never been paid a nickel by an oil company,” Dr. Easterbrook told the group. “And I’m not a Republican.”
<< Home 5 Comments:
Blogger Emmy said...

Marcus O'-are you going to update me on your links? I'm alive and living! :D

6:32 PM, March 14, 2007  
Blogger Mike said...

I was reading a artical at work that said scientist agree that half of us will die of starvation by 2080 due to global warming. And that much of the land near the equator won't be livable in. Didn't really worry me much, I'll probably be dead by then anyways.

5:47 PM, March 15, 2007  
Blogger Ruth said...

"Didn't really worry me much, I'll probably be dead by then anyways." That is a sad attitude, Mike, especially in light of our God-given mandate to maintain the earth! I find myself leaning toward the enviro-MENTALists :P more and more now. giving in? I don't know... that's why I'm starting to listen. Good post, though, Mark!

8:04 PM, March 15, 2007  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Absolutely Ruth my dear. We are called to care for the good gifts God gave us--including the earth. One thing we have to keep in mind however: God is the ultimate sustainer of the universe. He created it, and he enforces the laws of gravity, energy, etc. He is the one who knows all about plate tectonics, about ozone depletion, about coastal erosion...and He's got it in the palm of His hand. He created our world to work just right. Members of my institution call unceasingly for "sustainability solutions" and yet fail to call on the ultimate sutainer of all things.

10:52 PM, March 15, 2007  
Blogger Mike said...

I was being a tad sarcastic there, the real reason I'm not too worried is because the main reason these scientists gave for this catastrophe was pollution. The biggest polution offenders are cars and manufacturing plants. These all run off oil, with is as the scientists say, going to run out in 15 - 40 years. This will will drastically cut the amount of pollution being produced. The 2080 scenario given was based on us continuing life the way we are. Which, as scientists say, isn't possible, so I'm not really worried about it. Scientists are always saying things. And then theres the Spiritual side of it too.

10:20 AM, March 24, 2007  

Post a Comment