Sunday, July 25, 2004

More over-enlightenment

Observation 1:

Can you spot a writer? What do they look like? Do they look like freaks who don't do anything else? Are they regal and clean-cut or skulky and scruffy? Well, you say, why does it matter? Why should I care what a writer looks like? Point taken and I agree. After all, I'm supposedly a writer and I don't look like anything or anybody at all...except maybe Michael J. Fox and I'm still not sure about those claims.

Stay with me now--I'm almost there. When I was in Starbucks (sorry, another Starbucks story!) the other day, I happened to make the mistake of looking out the window. It was a gorgeous day so there was no avoiding it. The result of this glance, though, was enough to shake me out of my usual coffeeshop-reading-repose. There, out in the middle of the bright sunshine, was a young man, probably about my age, sitting on one chair with his feet up on one of the tables. He had no shirt, was plenty beefy, and what do you think he was doing? He was writing. Every once in a while he would stop and look at the scenery, then go back to his scribbling.

Now, I'm not going to say that I know, beyond all shadow of doubt, that he was a writer just because he happened to be sitting and writing like writers are wont to do. I will just settle for telling you that it was one of the strangest spectacles I have ever seen. You may say that writers can come in all shapes and sizes but I still say that there are some shapes and sizes which are far less likely to produce writers. I mean really, when was the last time you heard of a football lineman taking up writing as his profession right after college!? It's about as probable as me taking his place on the scrimmage line! You would find that image funny if you have ever seen me try to block.

Observation 2:

Driving is what is needed to get me from here to there... No, I do enjoy it as well, but not to the obsessive extent that I have seen in some others. The joy of driving is in the destination! It need not be anything more if you own a four-door 1985 Toyota Camry! So yes, it is the simple pleasure of blotting out the annoying distance between myself and my desired destination that makes driving a joy.

Why then does it have to involve the nuisance of other drivers--those other animals on the road who have absolutely nothing in common with my simple goal?

Just the other day, I encountered a rare species of these animals. I had heard ghastly stories about their incredible talent but nothing prepared me for the real deal! It was, in fact, a good friend of mine who told me that his sister once resembled these species. You know you are up against one when you see their signature move in front of you! They will suddenly slow, brake and turn on one of their blinkers in preparation for an upcoming turn-off. What you don't know is that he has turned on the opposite blinker! Such was the case not too long ago during my noteworthy encounter with this species. I did however spot his intentions just in time to brake and let him pass in front of me.

Take note, all you sane drivers out there: watch carefully and do not be fooled if you should have an encounter of your own!
<< Home 2 Comments:
Blogger Mark said...

agh...JJason! You are making me waver! I am starting to think a nicer car is actually a worthwhile goal! And yes, I did see your addition to my trunk lid this afternoon (and my windshield).

9:21 PM, July 27, 2004  
Blogger Kristi said...

my problem is with semi trucks-semi trucks and their horrible blinkers that never get turned off. I have to close my eyes whenever I pass them....well, not really, but I sure do feel like it.

9:38 PM, July 27, 2004  

Post a Comment