Thursday, December 09, 2004

Up from unbelief

Drudge was good enough to break this story from ABC. It seems the prominent atheist philosopher, Antony Flew has declared himself a believer in "a" God--based on scientific evidence. No, the story is careful (as is Flew) to note that he is closer to Deism then full-fledged Theism--nor does he believe in an "afterlife" or anything like the God of Christianity or Islam.

There are other articles out there which tend to confuse the matter--one written by Flew is entitled "Sorry to Disappoint, but I'm Still an Atheist!" The problem with this article is that it is dated 2001! No, he is NOT still an atheist by his own most recent account.

Praise God, though, for every crack in the walls of unbelief. Let prayer be offered up for this man that he would continue down the path to the truth--and everlasting [after] life.
<< Home 1 Comments:
Blogger Mark said...

Hey Wheelson! I must say it's good to meet another Bellingham blogger. You're comment is of course thought provoking (as intended) and I can't say I know right off how to go about responding.

I'd love to be able to pull together a plethora of supporting information as I carefully shape a thesis that would satisfy any lover of debate. However, your points and questions (and assumptions) are quite broad and numerous. I can't say I can respond all at once. However, your questions do provide a starting point and my answers, whether explained in-depth or not, can give you some idea of my way of thinking.

"Does God wish for us to find our own truth?" No. God is the source of all truth. Why should He want us to search for something that is not there? Truth is His and not ours.

"Or does God want us to find another truth that resides outside of our minds?" Yes and no. The truth is there (outside in a sense) in divinely-inspired Scripture, and yet God's law is also written in our heart's and God himself has also revealed himself to a less complete degree in nature.

"A truth that can be found outside of our minds would be something like an Easter egg waiting to be found." You describe truth as something we search for--when I'm not a searcher. We have no common core of experience so I can't rate your simile.

The fact is, I can't help but apply this whole discussion to a book I am in the middle of reading. "Escape from Reason" by Francis Schaeffer. I'm sure I will have a better understanding of what you are trying to ask when I have made more progress into this work.

Schaeffer identifies Thomas Aquinas as the first modern philosopher to separate man's fallen will from his intellect. Aquinas believed in the Christian belief of a fallen man--but not in the sense of his ability to reason. He created an autonomous intellect which could achieve rational thought without God or the truth of the Scriptures. This was the essence of the erroneous Renaissance thought.

As you can well imagine, I believe Schaeffer is spot-on in his analysis and I can hardly wait to finish a read more of his works. I highly recommend him.

I'm going to have to stop for sleep now. Hope I made some kind progress toward helping you understand my way of thinking

1:32 AM, December 15, 2004  

Post a Comment