Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Terri test, etc.

We have seen in the past few years how a large segment--perhaps the majority--of society can become so dimwitted and propagandized as to lose their ability to overcome their foundationless morals with a keen intellect.

I sometimes think we are the land of lemmings. The only way to make a difference is to make people think they agree with you somehow. If this were not true, why are political campaigns becoming so expensive and important to who takes the top office? Why are there more and more people who claim "non-partisanship" and yet these the ones who are easiest to persuade--you just need to talk louder.

If there is one thing we need to learn from Terri Schiavo, it's that we can't take it for granted that America is decent and willing to be ruled by principle.

A wise friend of mine recently made a scathing comment about Michael Schiavo which serves well to illuminate just how disinterested American's seem to be:
He certainly wouldn't get my vote for sticking with her "through sickness and health" having gone out and found a "honey" while Terri is still alive.
Strange how this man is given the benefit of the doubt when it is not his life, but his wife's life, that is at stake.
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger Rebekah said...

As you said so aptly:

"we can't take it for granted that America is decent and willing to be ruled by principle."

This burns. Maybe I'm naive and sheltered--I wouldn't be a bit surprised to discover that I am--but I still want to believe that America IS decent...

10:17 AM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Samuel N. said...

Hey Mark! This is Samuel Neff, and I'm just saying I'm with you all the way with this. I'm seriously wondering how much more distance America has to walk until it falls all the way off the cliff and starts free fall. Share with the others that my blog is www.SN91.blogspot.com k? Thanks! Keep posting, and I'll keep reading. :)

7:56 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Samuel N. said...

Oops, I almost forgot. Mark, what is your'e E-mail? Can you get back to me on that?(Mines Samuel.Neff@Gmail.com)Thanks:)

7:57 PM, March 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting point about persuading non-partisans by simply carrying a big verbal stick. Do you really think that's true? Most non-partisans are simply choosing to remain uninformed. If you are the first to show them any real evidence for a side, ANY side, they will agree only because they have no facts of their own to refute.
I agree with you about decency and morals slipping, certainly. Only when Americans choose to fight their own political and social battles will morals be valued.

11:54 PM, March 26, 2005  

Post a Comment