Sunday, July 24, 2005

Studying

For those who think that my recent full-time plunge into the wonderful world of manual labor is all encompassing and suppresses every other need, you are thankfully a little bit off the beaten track. Thankfully, I'm still finding some time to study. Besides the weekend, I often do the coffee shop on my way home from work. The only problem is staying awake. Driving home from work is by varying degrees, depending on the day, a battle to stay awake. By the time I hit Woods, I feel no inclination to do anything except to tip the seat back and close my eyes. But even though I leave the fan on, the temperature in the car acts as a very effective time limit. I usually wake up in 10 to 15 minutes covered in sweat and promptly jump out the car, fully awake and ready to do some studying--despite my dust-covered clothes, sleep filled eyes, and sweat streaked face. My current topics range from the Cold War, and Covenant Theology.

Before I get to detailed on you about some of the intricacies of what I'm reading and thinking through, let me just ask that comments be limited on this issue because my church is facing a difficult decision on some potentially divisive issues. While I may, in the future, post more detailed thoughts on the issues, I would prefer to wait till a decision of some sort has been made.

I'm studying the covenant with divided goals: first, to investigate the issues facing our churches, which means tracking the writings of one side who is has (in some opinion) taken the covenant too far--that's a very hazy way of putting it and not one I subscribe to. The second reason is somewhat opposite. I'm continuing my previous studies of issues that range from the case for infant baptism and covenant versus dispensational thought--both of which coalesce in a proper understanding of the Old and New Testaments. These issues could be viewed as being on the total opposite end of the spectrum from the first one and studying both creates a challenge of balance. If I say something too strongly on one hand, it could potentially be misinterpreted when viewed in the context of the other issues.

Critical thinking, here we come!

Incidentally, our congregation has a meeting tonight after the service to discuss the outcome of our most recent synod. I pray for God’s blessing on that and especially for pastor who has been traveling today to fill another neighboring pulpit before returning for our evening service. He’s going to be very tired I’m sure by the time the meeting starts.

I was going to go to Sarah (Jane) and Jesse's engagement party down in Renton today--it is going on as I write--but I decided it was best to lay low to nurse my cold and hopefully get some reading done. I have to be at the service tonight for recording so I would have been rushed if I went. All the best to them, though! Sorry I couldn't make it.
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger Rebekah said...

Please let me know what's happening bro. I can usually count on your blog for news. It sounds like you haven't been lazing away your summer that's certain. I feel a teensy bit disconnected from our church and town and so forth--I wonder why?

3:34 AM, July 25, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Ummm Lets see Rebekah maybe bacause you are all the way over over there. At New York!

3:58 PM, July 25, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Oh dear. Mark I hope my conversation on my blog didn't start anything. I don't what it would start but....

3:59 PM, July 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, do you think you could email me the details of what's happening at church? Yeah...I'm kind of out of the loop too...
I'd appreciate it if you or someone else could fill me in.

Anyway, it's great to hear that you take/find the time to read/study.

8:13 AM, July 26, 2005  

Post a Comment