Friday, July 01, 2005

O'Connor's notice

Now let the insanity begin.

If the first retirement has to be one of the conservative bloc, it might as well be O'Connor because her checkered career is more ambiguity than brilliance. At least she her move was made on a positive note--right after her solid defense of private property in the recent Kelo v. New London case--although she shared much of that lost-cause-glory with justice Thomas.

At the very least, she has shown a vote of confidence in President Bush versus the possibility of a future liberal nomination. Perhaps a little anger over the Kelo case has something to do with her sudden timing.

Is there a lot at stake? What kind of a question is that?!
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger Gloria said...

Sorry Mark I don't know anything about O'Connor. Could you tell me more about her?

10:06 AM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hey Mark you know that discussion that got started on my blog in between me you Nicole and a lot of other people. My Dad read what everone had to say and he thought you said what needed to be said. Just thought to ecourge you. So maybe you aren't so confusing after all.

10:26 AM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Hey Gloria,

Thanks for the encouragement. It was something I wanted to graciously end. I know there could be a lot of good in similar discussions but it's hard to do online and difficult when emotions are running high.

O'Connor was one of those appointed to the Supreme Court by Ronald Reagan. Although considered conservative at the time she was appointed, she has turned out considerably more moderate than most expected. The most reliable conservative voices on the Supreme Court are Clarence Thomas (appointed by Bush 1), and Antonin Scalia (appointed by Reagan). Unfortunately, out of the nine total justices, five are pretty liberal, with a one or two making an occasional diversion into proper constitutional interpretation.

5:54 PM, July 07, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Thanks Mark for the information. I'm afraid I'm not as good with my history as I should be.

10:54 AM, July 08, 2005  

Post a Comment