Thursday, August 11, 2005

Down to the river

I don't think I mentioned it on here before, but I got tickets to go the an Alison Krauss concert down at Marymoor Park in Redmond. Ok, I'll confess--I didn't mention on here and it was last night. So you just get to know what a good time I had and the undisputed fact from me: Alison Krauss and Union Station are true, timeless, and just plain, all-around awesome.

Anna, Brian and Jackie and me were the complete cadre. We somehow made it there an hour and a half ahead of the concert--which was ideal--and spent the time on the grass playing dominoes on the cooler (Brian and Anna twice destroyed Jackie and I).

The concert was great--duh. That said, I must say this about Krauss: she has a great voice, a great sarcastic wit, does dynamite fiddling, has a great band, and isn't stuck within one genre, sound or style. How good can it get? On an abstract level (without getting too picky in my comparison), I think she has a lot in common with someone like Johnny Cash, who will be remembered for years to come by more than one kind of crowd.

When we got to the park, a parking attendant warned us not to take any contraband to the gate because we would just have to take it back to the car. Among the no-no items was a camera--and I just happened to have one in my backpack which I was smart enough to remember about when we reached the gate, and unsmart enough to attempt the line with anyway. No matter, they took a look under the main zipper at the blanket and handed it back to me...I remember wondering, though, if they had really searched and found not only the camera but also the voice recorder and such, what would I have been able to say for myself?

Dude! I'm a journalism student! What CAN I say?
<< Home 6 Comments:
Blogger Gloria said...

Alison Krauss! I love her music. Though it has been since forever that I have heard her on the radio. So I just listen to her on my CD.

Okay if I had a camera of my own I would carry it with me. But a tape recorder? I guess I'll just have to watch what I say around you from now on. :)

7:05 AM, August 12, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

I am sure it was a great concert. I like her music but I haven't heard anything new of hers in a long time.

The tape recorder! That is hillarious...Mark are we going to get to read about you getting thrown out of some high security event one of these days? Could be a very interesting story for sure!

11:33 AM, August 12, 2005  
Blogger Nathan said...

Lol! Awesome, Mark. Wish I had been there. "Lonely Runs Both Ways" is a frequent participant on my playlist. Great music. Uh-huh.

6:29 AM, August 14, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm actually appalled at myself for now owning any of her music yet...

No, I hope I don't have to explain myself out of an awkward situation soon because of a stupid tape recorder.

12:30 PM, August 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just needed to make a note for the record.... Mark was the LOUDEST laugh at one point in the concert(and that's saying ALOT considering I was there) ahem. It had to do with a joke regarding politics of course. And Brian is Bryan. I thought you've known us long enough! Anyway, yes, Lonley Goes Both Ways in an incredible album, as all Alison Krauss' are.

11:01 PM, August 18, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

You know Jackie, I didn't realize what an accomplishment that was. I think it was made all the louder by the silence of the people around us. I thought that was humorous too...either they were just plain dense, or were too snobbish to appreciate something so taboo as a jab at the political cross-section of Seattle.

9:11 AM, August 20, 2005  

Post a Comment