Saturday, March 25, 2006

Cold inside

Spring is here... It's getting colder. Say what? Yeah, it seems like every year about this time, as soon as the sun starts to come out again for a day at a time, all the heaters in every business suddenly go out.

So, as the temperature outside barely hits room level (60 degrees F), I still (take today for an example) get cold and sit shivering in a coffee shop, then a restaurant, then again in the coffee shop. It will continue thus throughout the summer no doubt--the only time I will have to wear my jacket is when I go to a local establishment such as Woods or Starbucks.

I asked a barista today if she happened to know what the temperature was in the building. Over by the espresso machines, it was 68F... Where I sit (near the entryway), it must be closer to 60--which is way to cold for my slight frame. *sigh* The barista had said she was not allowed to make adjustments to the thermostat, but she did kindly turn on the gas fireplace, which I think has helped in the immediate situation. Moreover, she said, there isn't any air conditioner in the building per se. They rely just on a heater, which in the absence of need will shut down... hmmm. Seems the "smart machine" doesn't have the smarts to know that it is causing me to shiver in the spring.

That's Woods Coffee's excuse. Can't answer for Taco Time, where I shivered through a modest dinner across the street.

Someday, we minority little people will have rights. I will form my own special interest group to campaign for minimum building temperatures! It businesses won't volunteer to recognize our needs, then we will start lobbying in Olympia--should go over well in this state. I mean, if we have a law against smoking in public establishments (it's unsanitary air), why shouldn't we have a law against frigidity in public establishments (it's also unsanitary right?).

Ok, so maybe I should stick to the minority discrimination story.

Labels:

<< Home 7 Comments:
Blogger Rebekah said...

Lead on my Markie, I shall join in your cruisade (however ridiculous it may seem to all you giants). Down with the air conditioners!!!

12:16 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Gloria said...

I couldn't help but find that a little funny. I do see what you mean though. I wouldn't go so far as to say "Down with the air conditioners." They can come in handy sometimes too.

5:07 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Krista said...

LOL Better to be cold than to be hot. At least you can put on layers!

6:19 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Crystal said...

Yes but Krista its sort of annoying to have to plan on taking your coat and gloves with you when you go to a coffee shop in the spring and summer...you know, just one more thing you have to remember to take with you in the morning depending on where you plan to go throughout the day!

Anyway Mark I am with you on this issue. I don't enjoy going places where I have to pay to get anything and then I sit there and shiver and come out with freezing feet. I have been known to not frequent certain establishments during the late Spring and summer because they are too cold. On the other hand I don't quite have the "slight" frame you blamed it on so you might have to broaden your campaign scope just a little to be more inclusive! LOL

8:42 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger hopeful said...

You mean there are other people who have to put on a jacket before they go into a store during the summer? I don't often go to restaurants so I don't have much experience with cold ones but I do know that you can pretty much count on it being cold inside and building during the summer.

What I don't understand is the weird desire people have to be warm in winter and cold in summer. Why not just be cold in winter and warm in summer, and save a lot of money on heating and air conditioning bills? And then there is the energy conservation angle. We have to save the environment, you know, and with the way the economy is . . . Or at least that would make a good couple of stories.

6:14 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Kristi said...

Actually, it's more "sanitary" in cooler temperatures. A significantly less amount of harmless bacteria (the kind that cause colds and flues) are able to survive in slightly cooler room temperatures.

But yeah, aside from that, I'm all for the "down with the air-conditioners" movement. I've suffered one too many bouts of hypothermia...:)

1:45 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

Hey, now! If you're cold, do some push-ups or other exercises. Ya know: get the heart pumping! Let the sweat pour! Oh, to be out of breath once more! Jumping jacks! Squats! Shadow-boxing! Crunches!... --Restaurant?...Coffee shop?...Oh, well. Never mind.... ;p

2:21 AM, April 04, 2006  

Post a Comment