Sunday, September 17, 2006

What would you say?

Wouldn't it be strange if someone said that you must not repent too often, must not pray too often, must not sing psalms too often, must not read the Word of God or indeed hear it preached too often, must not trust in Jesus Christ too often--all because you might end up taking Him too lightly as a result.

What if someone said you should only do any of these things...say, 4 times a year?

Better stop there.

Labels: ,

<< Home 11 Comments:
Blogger Ruth said...

I'm speechless. How can you equate all of these things with taking Communion?

7:15 PM, September 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

presbyterians...

9:41 PM, September 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark!! I had no idea you were so enlightened! Since attending the PCA church in Tacoma, I've had many discussion about this topic and I've learned that the Lynden OCRC focus on introspection and self-examination is the wrong focus. It's about community. Good on ya!

11:18 PM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Mark said...

Hold on folks...don't get all fired up before I can get some sleep first.

12:31 AM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Crystal said...

Hummm...interesting thought here...is Mark only enlightened when suffering from lack of sleep? Might have to watch this more carefully.
As to the issue at hand, I have no idea where you are going with this so will be patient to see.

7:52 AM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

Pointing directly at the question without reading between the lines, I'd say "you're joking, right?" It would, indeed, be strange.

But knowing the background of the question allows me to speak further. Here's my take: While I was at our home church up there, it seemed normal to celebrate the Lord's Supper quarterly. But I've noticed nowadays that I often forgot about it for about three months at a time. Now that I'm with a congregation that partakes monthly, --I dunno-- it seems better somehow. It's more often on my mind. It's kind of hard to explain, but I sort of feel more blessed somehow. Maybe it's the particular congregation. Dunno.

But I do know that Mark R does not necessarily "equate" those aforementioned acts of worship with a sacrament. But I definitely see the benefit of having this sacrament-under-scrutiny more often than once every three months or so. Maybe monthly. Dunno. ;-)

8:22 AM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Yes you can equate all these elements of worship and faith in Jesus Christ to the Communion of the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Communion is very literaly the gospel. When we partake we partake of Christ, we make our trust in His sacrifice visible, tangible etc. You can't separate the gospel preached from the essence of Jesus Christ.

I'm not being very eloquent. Maybe I'll just wait till Mark gets some sleep.

12:26 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Emmy said...

It will be interesting to see your response Mark :)

1:38 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Gloria said...

Yes it would be very strange... I would laugh if someone told me that. One question did you hear someone say this or are you just giving us food for thought here?

2:41 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Ruth said...

I'm formulating a thesis as he sleeps :P

6:57 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

You're right Beka. Thanks.

12:05 AM, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment