Monday, November 15, 2004

Slop - reader discretion advised...I mean, sort of

It's wet. It's rainin’...it's Northwest Washington again and I’m lovin’ it (no, I do not eat at McD’s). It's been coming down all morning after the wind took its turn last night. Should the dress for today be waterproof? No way!

I suppose rain gear is fine for some. But since I, for some unknown reason, seem to lack in this area of my wardrobe, I have to find some good rational for dressing the way I have. Let me describe it to you...

Lightweight green cotton pants. I'm almost finished with them--yeah, I've had them for a while. They do tend to dry better than jeans, though, and it's not that cold out--it's pretty warm in fact (50 degrees).

A mock turtleneck--it's comfortable and warm, has little bulk and will go well under whatever shell I end up using.

My trusty old, top-of-the-line, Carhartt jacket--it's warm, it's breathable, it allows for more mobility than most Carhartts (I have a picture of W Bush wearing one of the same line!), and one more thing which many might over-look in there Gore-Tex craze: the water is semi-absorbed, negating the possibility of run-off onto the lower part of my outfit! This morning I have already heard people complain about this problem--not me!

I have no hat today. If I had the presence of mind to take my oilskin out of the car (WHY DIDN'T YOU MARK!?), I would have very little problems at all. However, there are pluses to my current condition! I have short hair so my head dries quickly; it's not cold (as I mentioned); there's also no wet hat to cart around indoors! And...I'll think of another good side soon.

Tennis shoes--they are more water resistant than any other such pairs I have owned. I discovered this the hard way: 1, they don't breath! 2, a few minutes ago, I got out of political science class and cut across an open space of walkway without looking up ahead... I first knew something was wrong when I noticed no one was around me. Yeah, it was about two inches deep in the shallow parts. However, the only damage was a snicker or two from the people on the edge and some splash damage to my pants. Today, it's all about narrow, winding paths of humanity.

It smells like wet in here... Outside, you can feel it beating down on you, in here, it's just steaming a little. I maybe I'll get tired of it later on, but for now, just bring it on! I can handle a little rain on my minimal pile of hair. And hey, there are puddles to splash through now!
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger Brittany said...

Thank you :)

4:03 PM, November 15, 2004  
Blogger Mark said...

Your welcome...

(for anyone else out there who is wondering--that has nothing to with my post. It's about some feedback I left at the above poster's blog. It's got a good name as you can see!)

12:05 AM, November 17, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark - I'm way behind on reading your blog, but I wanted to thank you for this post. I miss WA weather, and enjoy the rain when we get it here. Except you can't walk in it... you really get wet (soaked) when it rains in FL. -Elizabeth
P.S. I'm throwing my second egg nog party (ever) on Friday and remembering that cozy evening in Michelle, Sarah's and my apartment... I thought the floor was going to cave in!

12:36 PM, November 23, 2004  
Blogger Mark said...

Hey Elizabeth! Eggnog sounds pretty good right now. I've found that I like my eggnog undeluted--some try to "cut" it with more milk and that just doesn't taste as good.

Don't drown in the Florida rain! It's been misting now the last couple days--so typical

9:25 PM, November 23, 2004  

Post a Comment