Thursday, March 31, 2005

Life: Recharged

I just realized I hadn't posted anything personal on here for a while.

The beginning of the end of my junior year in undergraduate studies has begun. Sound like a big deal? Well, it was worth a try.

My class load consists of 4 classes—all of them in my major. That means I am getting a lot accomplished I suppose. The centerpiece is, of course, working on The Western Front for the second time in as many quarters. It's different, though, in many ways. First, there's the fact that, although I am still a normal reporter, I am miles ahead, experience wise, of where I was three months ago when I started last quarter. I also know more of the people on the staff who are doing it for the first time, so they are always asking for help, which I love to give for the pure joy of not being confined to the asking role. Oh, it's great. The poor little people are so confused and disoriented, staggering from this signup sheet to that section editor, and all the while thinking the floor is going to open up and swallow them if they forget to chew ten times before running into the wall in frustration.

Oh yes, I know the feeling well...

For myself, it is just over two days into classes and I already completed one story and got my first batch of production points. It was a good assignment although I wasn't sure at first. I was sent to do a preview of the men's rowing team. It was my first time reporting for the sports section, but as long as I didn't have to cover a stupid basketball game, I decided it would be fine.

I called the coach on Monday; he mentioned their practice as a possible meeting place.... Oh yes, the practice was at 5 a.m. at Lake Samish (south of Bellingham). I think they were surprised that I actually showed up. Little did they know that I had found it needful to get up at 3:30 in order to get there on time, prepared to spend the entire day on campus afterward.

The practice yielded good pictures and quotes, and the opportunity to speed across a lake at an unholy hour of the morning, snapping pictures of an eight-oar collegiate crew boat (know anyone else who's done that?).

So, the story was finished today and should be published tomorrow (Friday).

Singing for the King

Tonight (Thursday), I will with the Lynden Choral Society, Lord willing, singing in their spring concert the Lenten portion of Messiah, selections from Mendelssohn’s Elijah and an assortment of hymns. I've never gotten to sing Elijah and I have to say I love it! I know the music pretty well already from hearing it so many times over the years as other family members have sung it in previous concerts, but it still takes a good chunk of work to learn. It's so worth it though. Who wouldn't love to sing in a double quartet? If you could, maybe you could pray that there are no serious mishaps. I'm not saying I worry a lot about that. I just know that things can and have gone wrong in the past.

For those who don't know, this concert is also done with the Homeschool Choir from this county, with which I have also sung over the years. They have sort of combined with the Lynden group over the last two years for lack of director and accompanist. They still retain the name in the concert announcements.

Western still unraveling

I've made renewed effort to recharge the Western blog. However, finding likeminded writers with enough zeal to remain consistent is looking increasingly distant. The way I see it, there are three options: 1, I can keep doing what I am and post all alone in relative obscurity until I finally begin the logical process of winding it down to save mental resources. 2, I could go public, with just myself to keep it up in a do-or-die battle to publish a steady stream of material while dodging the political land mines and navigating a busy schedule, all in hopes I will tempt some lonely conservative readers into volunteering to join. 3, against all the odds, I find a few good hearty souls to take up the slack, enabling me to [safely] publicize the blog on campus and beyond.

At the moment, the last option sounds the most irrational. Yet, it is this option that I have been attempting to exercise from the beginning. I will probably continue in this way until I take stock again and decided I am, by default, following the first option.

But there's no harm in hoping and trying. I have to understand that this is something I have been dreaming about for a long time while many others don't yet know that news can be found online--much less at a...oh, what was it you called it? A blog?

Labels:

<< Home 2 Comments:
Blogger Rebekah said...

Well Mark, you're moving up on some fields and persevering despite all on others. I'm so proud that I can say that you're my big brother. Truly, honestly, and with all sincerity.

See ya on the battle field (choir concert)! No, I'm really quite enthusiastic about this concert. I enjoy the music from the Elijah as much as you. Sometimes I wonder if music can be divinely inspired...

1:35 PM, March 31, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks!! I think Ill return in the near future

6:47 AM, January 09, 2006  

Post a Comment