Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Nursery tails

I've this odd fascination with the modern renditions of hippy thought.

There have been two occaisions during my time at Western when I have had the chance to walk around in the Fairhaven building on campus. It's a small (by comparison) isolated building, set into the trees on the southern-most tip of the campus. Walking around on the main floor is a euphoric experience as office after office displays verying degrees of lunatic expressions of anti-American passion. I don't know if anyone really knows what a cult is run in that building. One look at the upcoming activities on a bulletin board won't suffice to take it all in. The board demands five minutes of your time if you plan to take it all in from scratch.

Most of these activities are not published on campus and I can only assume that "fairhaven" students are the primary audience and participants--hence my cult delineation.

On the other hand, if you stop to speak to the average student and pick their brain on an issue such as war, or gas prices (take your pick of any issue), stand back and be amazed at the level of raw passion that goes into blanket statements. I can't give my prime example at the moment because the quote will be used in a Front article--I can only hope there is enough sanity on campus that people will laugh when they read it.

Conclusion...

The word that came to my mind after talking to the student was "nursery." Indeed, cult or nursery, both could describe the atmosphere of the place. People are friendly enough, so don't think it's scary or anything. Then again, I didn't walk into there with a suit and tie, handing out Halliburton business cards, did I?
<< Home 1 Comments:
Blogger Crystal said...

I have had the opportunity to walk the very halls you refered to and they are indeed an interesting study though I don't think I have ever described in quite so colorfully.

1:48 PM, May 04, 2005  

Post a Comment