Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Gifts both simple and lavish

Note: the following is taken from an email I wrote today. Having written it once one way, I didn't see a need to do more composition.

Tomorrow classes start. Today was my last day on the regular day shift. I went to Western after work to get some books and a parking pass...I got some other things accomplished too though. When I went out to the car from the parking office a thought struck me and I quickly checked my wallet to discover I hadn't gotten my debit card back. I turned the car back off, locked it, retrieved the tardy card and attempted to reenter the car, only to come face to face with reality--for the first time in my life I had locked my keys in the car. Oh well, I thought. I can go purchase books and call home while I was at it.

On my way back to the car to meet Mom, decided to stop in at the journalism department and say hi to the secretary and thank her for getting me into one of the classes I needed--it was about closing time but I knew she would be there. So we started talking and she started talking all at once about classes and before I knew it, I was registered for another needed class! That makes a nice trio of journalism classes...I didn't really know what to say except "you are so awesome" or something to that effect.

But more than that, I have so much to thank God for. He's kept a potentially disappointing quarter from starting out on a bad note and moved me forward in ways I couldn't have imagined. Life is good.

So...the day isn't over and I'm already high on another gift. It seems my family banded together and got me something they had been planning for since my 21st birthday. I opened a brand-new laptop computer of my very own this evening. I thought people were supposed to get this excited about having a car...I certainly didn't when I started driving and here I am a few years later feeling like a kid holding ice cream! Wow. The irony is that I had been thinking just today about asking some people I know for the best source...one less thing to dream about.

So you can have the honor of this personal invitation: rejoice with me!
<< Home 10 Comments:
Blogger Rebekah said...

Yes, I'm rejoicing with you my boy!! For goodness sakes, I couldn't stop giggling last night...

6:38 AM, September 21, 2005  
Blogger Brandy said...

Happy Birthday! whenever it was:) Glad to hear you got the classes you needed - hope you had an interesting/exciting first day at school today :D :P

3:39 PM, September 21, 2005  
Blogger Cassi said...

Happy b-day!
hope your first day of school this quarter was less confusing than my first day was!

5:07 PM, September 21, 2005  
Blogger Joshua said...

*ooooooo*
A new laptop eh?
That is like Christmas time!!!
Oh, and the rest was interesting too ;)
Cool about the classes, hope they went well. My dad is taking a few this semester up there around Red Square so if you see him say "Hi" :)

10:33 PM, September 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how exciting! -Elizabeth B

2:50 AM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

A laptop! That is fantastic Mark! I am definetly rejoicing with you! What brand is it? I am sure it will be a great assest to your reporter life!

That is great about the classes as well. It does feel great to get the right classes when you need them rather than having to wait and take them when you really want to doing other things. Very happy that things worked out for you.

Well about the keys...welcome to the ranks of the "not so all put together, do silly things once in a while!" I have locked my keys in my truck so many times I have lost count. The last time was up in Canada and I was really sweating it and praying hard until I was inspired and remembered that I had a spare key hidden and upon checking was relieved to actually find it where I thought it was. Aside from that I have had to have my mom and others come rescue me several times...Probably one of the more memorable times was when I stopped on my way home to buy take-out chinese for everyone here at home and after getting the food I discovered that I had locked my keys in and then I couldn't get a hold my mom because she wasn't home yet. I made multiple calls from the close pay phone until I finally caught her and she had to head back into town to rescue me. But, in the meantime I was sitting outside the restaraunt with all this food and saw no reason to let it get cold. The weather the great, the food was hot and I had a plastic fork so I climbed in the back of the truck and had my own personal little tailgate party with stir fry and chowmein! I was the only one that ate dinner on time that night...ugh, sometimes I need a keeper!

7:59 AM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger Kristi said...

Congratulations Mark! I would definitly say that your craft is well-deserving of such a magnificent machine!

10:02 PM, September 22, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

I will proudly say that I have never locked my keys in the my parents van. (but I'm sure someday I will.)

A laptop! Cool! I hope you put it to good use. 8

8:24 PM, September 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, looks like I missed the birthday. Hope it was good.
On keys? Never locked in the car, for the simple reason that I don't lock the car. Still, key embarassments happen... for me it was a lunch-break at Walmart, with my entire class waiting on me. Oops, again.
-Phoeffe.

8:26 PM, September 24, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Phoeffe: my apologies for all the typos in the version I emailed. I wrote it up, tried blogging about it and decided to use what I emailed...then found all the typos and fixed them before publishing.

10:08 PM, September 25, 2005  

Post a Comment