Thursday, September 22, 2005

Lurching forward

Will the roller coaster ever stop?

I found out today I have the opportunity to write for Western's periodical Klipsun this quarter if I want. Most who have examined my schedule wince and say it might not be a good idea to take on a fourth class. But still, I can't help but drool at the thought of getting that much behind me in one quarter. In all honesty I don't know if I'm going to do it. I'm in some serious limbo if I ever was. I so want to take it on but I can't help but remember how worried I was already just yesterday about the load without it. This is going to take a lot of focus and may end up hurting me in many other areas. I already know, for example, that I won't be singing in the Messiah this year...

I attended my advanced reporting class today. I was especially interested in this class because the professor was newly hired this year. My interest level now, after the first class, has dropped like mercury in Nome. I'm used to listening to secular humanistic blowhards in a university classroom. It can even be entertaining at times. Professor Howard is, however, the most dedicated blowhard I've run across yet. He preached the whole class away from one book of propaganda: "the culture of fear." If up till now I've been learning to be a journalist, I now must be at the point where I'm supposed to learn to be a journalist with the right kind of agenda. Talk about gag reflex. I really feel like I need to do something about it but I'm not sure what yet. I don't know...this is the closest I've ever come to complaining to the journalism faculty. I can see why he got the job...a PhD who used to jump out of planes for the military--and yet is willing to call both wars in Iraq useless. How good does it get?

It's time to look on the bright side. Somehow amid this maze of a schedule I ended up with no class on Friday. Tomorrow morning (in a few hours, that is), I'm headed to work for the regular shift...and I haven't even had time to call and tell them.
<< Home 1 Comments:
Blogger Gloria said...

Wow! I think that is the first time I have ever heard you call someone a name. "secular humanistic blowhard" Sorry I just had to laugh. It is just so funny but so real at the same time.

8:21 PM, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment