Friday, July 30, 2004

Sleepwalking into the future

I have a confession to make....oh? You guessed! That's right, I do sleepwalk. It's an skill for which I am fiercely proud! Ok, it's not as bad as all that and I won't spend the rest of this post spinning my tails of self-made late-night spooks. I will settle for saying that the most common scenario is the pillow scenario. This covers couch and bed pillows. It doesn't matter one bit what kind--they just show up in weird places in the morning. Yes, there are the clothes that get strewn all over my bed and front doors that occasionally get left wide open.

Do you know what it is like to sleepwalk? Those of you that don't do it in the classic sense will reply "no." Not all of us get up at ungodly hours of the night to unconsciously work mischief on our households--then again, some of us do. Let me tell you what it is usually like for me--because I think you should know. I sleepwalk the most under a combination of two conditions: a stressed-out mind and mental/physical exhaustion. I usually wake up refreshed and ready to take things on. Only then do I start to notice little things (like a pillow sitting across the room instead of under my head). Then I try to remember--more often than not, I can't remember a thing.

I ask again, do you know what it is like to sleepwalk? I suspect that you do--if not in the literal sense, in the spiritual sense. Most of you have faced a difficult time in your life which taxes you to a severe level (or so you think), and you finally cry out to God for mercy to endure. Then you wake up one morning and discover your problems have mysteriously melted into oblivion and you just can't remember the little details of your burden being lifted. You find yourself scratching your head and wondering if you even had a problem? You wonder if you really felt so down such a little time ago. Yes, you did, that much you do know. There is only one explanation--the burden was not rightfully yours in the first place and God just enforced His right to carry it for you. You thank God--not just for taking the burden away, but for doing it in such a loving manner--in your sleep as it were.

The change is there, your mind is clear and refreshed and you are ready to move on. You slept right through the midst of your problems and you just didn't have the time to figure out what YOU did to fix them. For all you know, you did nothing but sleepwalk into the future.

<< Home 1 Comments:
Blogger Mark said...

Oh? I was sure you at least talked in your sleep! If you really did do all the talking for your younger siblings, why on earth should sleep slow you down now?

11:30 PM, August 01, 2004  

Post a Comment