Friday, May 27, 2005

The way things ought to be...

In a conversation just a minute ago with one of the department staff, she asked me how the internship happened to turn out. I sat back and laughed--she rightly gave a look of worry...

I told her I was genuinely amused though, having gone up against the rock star of the journalism department and (duh) lost. She was surprised--she had thought Matt was going to use his scholarship on a bigger newspaper. I just nodded as she shrugged and said "Things turn out the way they are supposed to be." I nodded and told her I was a big believer in that. Just between you and me, I'm probably a bigger believer in that statement than she even realized.

So how are things supposed to be this summer? A job? Naturally, that's the first move. There have already been a few ideas that have sprung into my lap. There is one other option, though, that I am considering: Summer quarter as an editor for The Western Front...

It's a weekly paper over the summer, which got me thinking about what day they publish. So far, I've gotten three different stories--my reason for wanting to know is so I can tell whether there would be a conflict like there has been in the past: spending Sunday afternoon and evening at the office is not easy on my conscience. Even if an editor's spot is out of the question, I might consider applying as the columnist. What could be a better: finishing up on the Front by writing a weekly column on WHATEVER I WANT! Now that could be fun!

Just a few things I'm thinking about. Here's another thing:

I'm facing a long weekend. What's worse than that? (ok, what was the question?)... Well, everyone says a long weekend is for relaxing. For my part, I don't see how that could be the case, with most of my finals and final work due next week! Who is going to relax with that kind of shadow over the head?

Ok...probably me and a thousand other students, but that's just the problem. There's no way I will be able to truly relax with that over my head. It's just not gonna happen.

Let me never take the mantra "Things turn out the way they are supposed to be" as license for sloth.

The slothful man does not roast what he took in hunting,
But diligence is man's precious possession.

Proverbs 12:27
<< Home 3 Comments:
Blogger Gloria said...

I can't say I know how you feel, for two very good reasons.
1. I have never been to collage.
2. I finished the last of my tests on the 27th.
But I do know what it is like to study like a mad man (or woman in my case) and still pass by the skin of my teeth. Hey don't worry about me!! I'm sure you'll do great. Just some time to enjoy God's creation. O.K.

3:45 PM, May 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN, brother. Excellent verse from the many excellent passages in Proverbs, as we both know so well, thanks to Mom.

1:47 AM, May 31, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

Mark I hope you survived your weekend of studying ok. Did you get out and do anything fun??? As to the internship just don't forget that some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. I know if you aren't at the Tribune there is something else out there and I will look forward to hearing all about it when the way becomes clear and you are finally at that place when you can see why it didn't work out. Will keep your situation in prayer because I have been there and it's dreafully hard not to panic even just a little.

3:39 PM, May 31, 2005  

Post a Comment