Thursday, May 19, 2005

Affirmative action action

Ok, so the real exciting part was meeting Dinesh and having him sign my copy of "What's So Great About America."

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I must say, being taller than him was like having my cake an eating it too.

The debate with Tim Wise was great. Too bad Mr. Wise's biggest points were only backed up with eye-rolling, crude language and assenting jeers from the crowd instead of real facts and reason. Joshua (my friend with whom I will travel to DC next month) showed up and I ended up sitting with him on one side and Tony Russo and Alanna Ahern--two prominent liberal AS board members (Russo is on the way out thankfully). Oh the irony: they only know me as a reporter, so I felt a little compelled to stay my enthusiasm for some of Mr. D'Souza's zingers.

Tonight was the ultimate expose of liberal political correctness on campus... Gasps whenever Dinesh would say something out of the ordinary like, "the founders weren't racists." ... You get the point. I, having already read many of his arguments, was glad enough to see what the real reaction is when they are employed.

Now I am forewarned.
<< Home 5 Comments:
Blogger Joshua said...

Yes, it was quite the debate. I thought the gasps were pretty humorous, and it was rather pitiful the girl who stood up and with a choked up voice and tears squeezed from her eyes said that she was very offended that Dinesh would be so "insensitive" - classic.
I also had to laugh when Tim Wise attributed the high rates of minorities in prison to a sinister plot designed to repress the voices of the minority urban communities by locking up their people. Yes, it is another conspiracy - all those police officers don't want you colored people voting...right.
As for Dinesh, I don't entirely agree with his, in a sense, justification of slavery - though the horrified reactions were a good demonstration of the lack of open-mindedness on the part of the majority.
His argument centered around merit. That everyone applying for jobs, colleges etc should be given it based on merit. If a black person better qualified applies for a job and a white person who is less qualified applies and the white person gets the job that is wrong. However, by instead forcing it to be vice-versa that is also wrong. Trying to stop people from becoming victims by creating other victims is a really illogical way of doing things.
Anyway, I've got more to say, but I'd better get off to college since I need good grades to get into graduate school because nobody seems willing to lower the standard for me...come on I'm Irish-Canadian - I've been a victim all my life. Oh, and this white background offends me - what are you trying to highlight my whiteness?

7:50 AM, May 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I had been there! Course, I would've had the advantage of anonymity, enabling me to be a more enthusiastic support(oh, yeah!) to the esteemed Mr. D'Souza. Nice pic!

7:51 AM, May 19, 2005  
Blogger Brandy said...

*gasp* omygoodness!! you really are taller than him, Mark!! yay!!!!!

9:25 AM, May 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Mark I never noticed that you were short until you stood next to Michael. Congratulations!! You found someone shorter than you!! ~Gloria Drake

P.S. I'm shorter than you if that makes you feel any better.

3:36 PM, May 20, 2005  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I was so excited for you Markie! But it really is exasperating doing the whole journalistic nuetrality thing. Ugh!

10:01 PM, May 21, 2005  

Post a Comment