Saturday, May 21, 2005

Front opinion: McConnell v. Le Moyne college

Today's issue of The Western Front has my latest commentary on Scott McConnell, his expulsion from Le Moyne and his subsequent $20 million lawsuit against the college.

The article titled "College should allow all viewpoints" is not intended to justify McConnell's lawsuit--indeed, I think it is excessive. True, I think he probably didn't deserve to be expelled, but I fail to see where $20 million should play a role in rectifying the problem. While Le Moyne is a private, Jesuit college with the right to dismiss whoever they want, they are looking ever so hypocritical by pretending to be inclusive and then kicking someone out at the first sign of anti-PC. If they are discriminatory about what they allow students to believe on something as simple as classroom discipline, they should just say that and be done with it.

Anyway...here I go, saying what I could have said in the article.

Crossposted at Western Washington Unraveled
<< Home 3 Comments:
Blogger Justin C. said...

Hi mark. HAve not been here in a while. What is going on with Kristi. She has not posted in a while. Any idea. I can't wait to read her next post. I am not sure if you read her last post. She has been having quite the adventures lately:) Now this post. I believe he had the right to press a charge against them but that kind of money. I mean, come on. It like the lawsuit about a guy who bought a motorhome, drove out on the road, set the cruise control, and walked back to make a cup of coffee going 60 on a freeway. Of course, he crashed and got like 90 or 100 million dollars and a new motorhome because the manual did not say you could not leave the wheel unattended. Outrageous. Have a great day and keep posting,
-CT

5:06 PM, May 22, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Very interesting Mark.

5:43 PM, May 22, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Hey CT...

Our good friend Kristi is under much time constraints--maybe even more than me (always a debatable topic).

I'll be interested to see what kind of ruling comes down the pick for McConnell. No I don't think he should be filing this kind of suit either.

4:53 PM, May 23, 2005  

Post a Comment