Thursday, June 02, 2005

Letting my light shine

I'm glowing...

...on the outside that is. Those who see my face these days usually do a double take before moving on. You see I tend to burn pretty deep. For some reason my face was the only thing that really got it when I went on Monday's hike. The worst of it was Monday night and Tuesday.

It was a great hike, by the way. When we stopped for lunch, the sun finally peaked out a little--it was total fog the rest of the time. Incidentally, my burn is not from direct sunlight (although, the brightness of the thing will make you think of direct sunlight). It's actually caused almost entirely by indirect light off the snow and fog. Anyway, when we finished lunch, Raphael called over, "come'n Mark" and started running the rest of our route. A few of the others decided to join us but we didn't stop until we were almost all the way up. I'm glad Raph started the run up the mountain, because it made the hike that much more satisfying to be able to tire myself out a little more.

By the time we reached the top, about half the group had joined us. The others were still at lunch.

Coming down is always the best part, though. There were a few really steep snow slopes--the kind that tend to seem even steeper when it's time to go back down. The steepest one was right at the top, so as soon as we figured how that was to be de-scale, we were completely broken in.

You all know how to ski on foot right?

Good times had we all! The others had started up our trail to seek us out. It seems they heard some screeching from either our snowball fights or our first ski-run.

Whatever was the case, I know I'm doing this story a grave injustice by writing when I need to get some homework done. For now, you can take a peak at my last hike, a small portion of which is written up here.
<< Home 10 Comments:
Blogger Gloria said...

Sounds like you guys had fun. You know I have some aloe vera gel that works really good for sun burns and bug bites. I could tell you how get it if you want some. You will have to order it though.
I have never really hiked all that much. Our family never really hikes a whole lot. Its kind of hard to go hiking with little kids. I did go hiking a couple of years ago to a waterfall near Lake Shannon.
Do I know how to ski on foot? Umm not really. Unless you call falling down snow packed hill while trying to stay on your feet.

12:29 PM, June 02, 2005  
Blogger Patty-Jo said...

Sounds like a fun time! We always use Noxema for sunburns at our house. Sounds wierd I know, but it really works.

11:25 PM, June 02, 2005  
Blogger CelloChic said...

Haha. I got burnt so badly over the Memorial Day weekend...absolutely fried. Go aloe!

4:35 PM, June 03, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hey Patty-Jo, That Noxema stuff. I have never heard of it. Just wondering is it a natural herb of some sort?

5:18 PM, June 03, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Actually, my main staple is calendula gel...that is ever so natural and it can clear just about anything up in no time at all. My face is almost back to normal--pealed only a small layer (that is saying something if you had seen my face).

12:15 PM, June 04, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Good for you! I can't say I really know what it is like to be sunburned. I have only been sunburned a little bit on my face. Drakes really don't burn all that much. We get really red but hardly ever burn.

5:55 PM, June 04, 2005  
Blogger Kristi said...

Aw honestly Mark, it wasn't until you started running up that hill that you started getting tired?!
That's impressive.

12:04 AM, June 05, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Oh kristi, you make me laugh. I may get "tired" but not worn out--a quick rest will fix it...

12:08 AM, June 05, 2005  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Mark I don't remember reading the post you linked from last year--your account of that hike took my breath away all over again! Thank you for sharing that gift. We really need to get up there again.

8:58 PM, June 05, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. The area you went to is such a great hike. Did you go to the lake around the back of the mountain or head up towards Mt. Baker? You were at Artist Point right?
Hope your face is all better by now.

9:31 PM, June 05, 2005  

Post a Comment