Saturday, September 24, 2005

A name for the creature

I don't think Frank, Jason or Harvey would even consider speaking to me again if I don't come up with a proper name for what I have come to refer to as The Black Box--that kind of referencing all the time is a little clumsy at best anyway. No, I don't think he would serve me quite so well as if he had a name.

Any suggestions? Food for thought: Manny, Marty, Todd, Toby, Rocky, Rodney, Otis, Orin...there's more out there somewhere.
<< Home 12 Comments:
Blogger sarah said...

I don't think you should use any of those - how about something Biblical, like Moreover or Nevertheless?

If it must be an actual name, what about Leopold or Mortimer? Definitely something that sounds like good literature.

Personally, I like Nevertheless. But it's up to you!

Love you, bro!

4:11 PM, September 24, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

I'm pretty sure I'm on excellent terms with harvey...although last I heard he was in the hospital--so I don't know what kind of attitude adjustments he's going through there. Nothing like the Jason to Frank phenomenon I'm sure! :)

8:26 AM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

I must say Sarah, I probably won't use one of the ones I wrote in...they just don't click. I think when I hear the right name, it will just happen. There won't be any doubt at all! I will know!

Another thing I'm almost confident of is that it will be two syllables or less :) hehe

Tasha, I'm truly devastated that Rocky is out of the picture...not. :) The black box appeals to me as a temporary measure for several reasons. I'm a fan of Shirley Jackson for one (read The Lottery; it will knock your socks off. There is unfortunately so much truth in it) and there's something so mysterious about "the black box" that seems to mirror the present state of this machine. does that answer?

8:53 AM, September 26, 2005  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Um, I read that "lottery" thing...

That's disturbing. Is there an explaination?

6:09 AM, September 27, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Beka...

When Jackson wrote it, she was hounded bu hundreds of subscribers (of the magazine in which she was published) all either asking the same question or slamming her for writing something so dark. Her response was to not respond. She finally made it clear she was not going to provide an explanation. For my part, I don't think I would have been so eager to explain it all so explicitely either. It's enough for me that it is a straightforward story--period. I find it paints a strickingly clear picture of man's state.

There's a tendency for man to think that man and society has something in themselves that would hold them together without God. After all, we have laws and traditions. The Lottery smashes that idea to pieces.

I like the imagery. It's stunning. Here's the town's folk--they are decent normal people--yet once a year, the black box appears, and something is set free...I won't go on anymore about it for now.

8:10 AM, September 27, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

That's a thought: A dark name. I don't know about Bart though. I'm not feeling the love there.

8:38 AM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

How about Watson?

8:39 AM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

for some reason Toby keeps coming back

8:39 AM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Then name it Toby! Sheesh! It can't be that hard!

8:29 AM, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Not all things are supposed to be decided swiftly. Somethings take time. If I'm told I should name it Toby "now," I'll probably not end up naming it Toby.

1:21 PM, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Then don't name it Toby. Name John or Tim or Abbott or Alexander or Allison or Baxter or Basil or Bruce or Bruno or Caesar or Chester or Dexter or Donald or Dwight or Hoyt or Jasper or Isidore or Julius or Karl or Keith or Kelly or Kelvin or Lloyd or Llewellyn or Miles or Nathaniel or Noah or Oliver or Percival or Robin or Woodrow or Xavier or Yardley or Daniel. Need more?

9:03 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

You know Dominic means the "The Lords Day."

9:05 PM, October 03, 2005  

Post a Comment