Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Noise from the jungle (vol. II)

Last Wednesday, I came to a particular class half asleep. I will admit to not remembering what we covered during those two hours.

Today however, I came to class energized somehow (the coffee?), and lived to regret it. I've never felt more like punching a wall than I did as I left the room. What could it have been that made an easy-going guy from the laidback rainy Northwest Washington so impassioned (I'm not sure I can describe it that way because I kept vacillating between being incensed, shocked, disturbed and amused in the extreme--like I could hardly keep myself in check)?

File under "Methods of Textual Analysis" (read: methods the professor endorses): Marxist Analysis and (here's a word for you) Hegemony:

"Refers to the process by which those in power secure the consent of the socially subordinated to the system that oppresses or subordinates them. Rather than requiring overt force, the elite, through their control of religious, educational and media institutions attempt to persuade..."
etc, etc.

Examples of hegemony a patriarchal society: Catholic, Mormon, and most Protestant church order... (yes there was a professing catholic present in the class). Another example: Promise Keepers--i.e. a group of men who get together for support in reaffirming their leadership role in their family (such a sickening idea you know).

I don't have the time to do more affirmation of what I will be tested on (oh, there's so much more I haven't mentioned). Professor BH (blowhard) insisted we don't need to accept these methods of interpretation--we just have to "know them cold."

Leave me alone! I'm busy sucking on gas!

Crossposted at Western Washington Unraveled
<< Home 3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, very nice, the anti-propaganda... propaganda?!? And what a blatant misuse of the word hegemony. Have fun!

5:49 AM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger workaholic said...

I find it sad that there would be a need for support groups to reaffirm the leadership role of the husband in the family. That should be a given that he is the leader, but because of the ease of life atleast in the united states the male population has seemingly become so lazy that he has given up the role of leadership to the women. women now make up (I am guessing here) someware around 43% of the work force. thus they are not in the home instructing the children so the cildren are learning from eachother, televition, inernet, video games, and we wonder why this country is so void of morals
Okay I've said enough

5:01 PM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Gloria said...

Mark you sound so funny when you are frustrated. But really reading this makes me glad that I'm home schooled.

10:35 PM, January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment