Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Portait of need

Yesterday a coworker of mine shared with me and a couple others that his girlfriend is pregnant. My reaction was mixed...basically because his was as well. While he tried to be upbeat and declare how he just had to move on and deal with it and, "I really like kids" etc., it was easy to see that there was more to his emotions than just the paradoxical inconvenient and anguished blessing of his second child out of wedlock.

His emotions could be mapped thus: since he was working a one-man job process that day, he (judging from my experience in that job) got ample time to think. He mentioned being "bored out of his mind" at one point, and also said at another point that his "thoughts are racing."

Understandable.

From all this and other things I have seen, it seems he has a conscience and that is encouraging. Unfortunately it appears as if he is fighting against it. He looked for empathy from his coworkers and several responded with as much--myself trying to offer the right kind encouragement but without much opportunity for more than a little bit. I have heard something of a profession of faith from him in the past--unsanctified as he seems to live his life. He clearly still needs Christ. He recognizes his weaknesses, such as a general lack of self-control and I think a lot of his past haunts him, rough as it has been. I need not go into the other difficulties we have seen him go through since he started working here.

His name is Matt if you find you are able to pray for someone you haven't met formally.

One more person to love...
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger Robert Marshall Murphy said...

Man, that is some heavy news for that guy. I guess I keep thinking of the passage I got married under, Psalm 128. Children are a blessing and the more we can encourage any one Christian virtue, the more we encourage them all. Of course we should seek all things in the way God has said, but in our abortion/selfish culture, their status as a gift is what must be emphasized.

7:21 PM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Gloria said...

That has to be rough on him. In a sense you could day its his fault, but still my heart goes out to him. He will be in prayers everynight.

7:47 PM, April 12, 2007  
Blogger Emmy said...

Had it happen to friends. Prayer is necessary.

7:47 PM, April 13, 2007  
Blogger Kristi said...

"Their status as a gift is what must be emphasized."
Amen Robert.

1:06 AM, April 19, 2007  

Post a Comment