Friday, June 29, 2007

America's mayor on money and the Fred factor

"All spending is discretionary. Read the Constitution. Congress has to appropriate it; the President has to sign it. All spending is discretionary and it has to be looked at from the point of view of, can we afford it now? Is it appropriate to pass it on to the next generation?"
-Rudy Giuliani

I'm impressed.

I guess it's time to start the endless commenting on next year's presidential election cycle. Sorry to disappoint you by breaking my silence.

Frankly, it's Rudy or Fred.

Rudy: A proven leader who, although without a social conservative resume, still seems to understand that when it comes down to it, his job isn't to change things. He seems to understand federalism. That is key. A proven executive record on fiscal discipline, innovation, and civil security with a statesman image. He's got a gameness about him that would serve him well--not someone who will be led by prevailing winds; that's the essence of conservatism isn't it?

Fred: Well, there's just the problem of not knowing. He has a lot to prove. I think his comparative lack of political credentials shouldn't hurt him as long as he can prove himself to be fit for an executive position--which he strikes me as being more apt to be. There is a reason we don't see members of congress in the White House very often, if ever. In our day and age, congress is one of the worst training grounds for the presidency. As many commentators have noted, Thompson represents potential for greatness--he has to prove himself.

Personally, I'd like to see both of these men on the GOP ticket. Not sure what order yet.

And hey, they both have great names!
<< Home 4 Comments:
Blogger Robert Marshall Murphy said...

What?!?! You don't love Mitt Romney? I must know why! Did you read Hugh Hewitt's book, A Mormon in the White house?

6:04 PM, June 30, 2007  
Blogger Mark said...

Granted I haven't read Hugh's book, but I really can't bring myself to get excited about someone who has been a "conservative" for a few years, and that only after no longer needing his state level constituency. Circumstantial perhaps, but it's telling in my opinion that he didn't become conservative until he needed to appeal to a national audience.

I couldn't care less about his Mormonism; I frankly don't trust him as far as I could throw him.

12:56 AM, July 01, 2007  
Blogger Robert Marshall Murphy said...

I'm relieved you're not on the anti-Mormon band wagon. Gulliani's abortion stance is the biggest turn-off for me. Thompson's a senator and an actor: not big qualifications for Commander in Chief. Romney's made it work in a Democrat controlled state: like D.C. will be in '09. He or Rudy can beat OBillary.

2:44 AM, July 01, 2007  
Blogger Anna said...

Hey bro!!! Wazzup!

I have started my episodes on my Carnegie Hall/NY experience and I have had one comment. It is very discouraging to say the least! Could you spread the word around my space that I really would love some feed back. :)

10:34 PM, July 01, 2007  

Post a Comment