Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Pineapple express?

50 below zero is cold. I know there are places in the US that have recently clocked in at that number so I really shouldn't act like we have any big claim to fame here in the Great [moderate] Northwest.

But think again. Isn't it significant when, in a matter of two or three days, the temperature changes from 20 degrees to 60? If it isn't, than I don't know what is.

Sunday: there was a half an inch of ice covering everything--including the snow.
Monday: The ice all melted and it rained.
Tuesday: it rained!

Today:
I got up at 7 to take out the trash--it had been blowing hard all night. I stumbled up to the garage, opened the door and felt what seemed like a hot breath on my face! It was one of the most exhilarating thing to feel after getting so used to the freezing weather. The 35 mph wind was warmer than the garage! The rest of the day, while on campus, I could face into the gale without any kind of the chill that so often accompanies the winter wind. Today's high temp in Bellingham is listed at 63 degrees!

Tonight it started raining again, which is fine. I'm plenty used to that part.
<< Home 6 Comments:
Blogger Mark said...

Yes, I'm just south of Lynden myself--we get our share of those winds too. With a house up on a ridge, we get it from the warmer south and the cold frazier northeaster...fun stuff. Hope the insulating happens sooner than later.

8:13 AM, January 20, 2005  
Blogger Patty-Jo said...

Hi Mark, thank you for your comment. I too am glad the snow and ice are gone. But wow, the change is bizzare!

BTW I've added you to my blogroll.

8:39 AM, January 20, 2005  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Pineapple express. You no I used that term on a friend of mine and she had no idea WHAT I was talking about! Well...thanks anyway bro.

5:56 PM, January 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

63 degrees!!!I'm jealous... I miss the washington weather. The temperate humid climate that is neither too cold or too hot. And if it is cold - there's always a Starbuck's nearby... lol... Nah, it's freezing just walking to class. Every year around this time... I think my smaller extremities (i.e. fingers, nose, ears, etc) are just going to fall off from the cold and the horrid wind.

Oh well... you're a junior, no? Or is that Taylor black... I dunno... Peace out dude...

7:23 AM, January 21, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Oh yes Brian... And you know, they just built another Starbucks in Bham I think that comes to about three or four separate locations--without taking into consideration all grocery store locations and the places on campus that sell their coffee. However, I think that is a low number compared to other Washington locations. They actually have a lot of competition here, you see.

Yup, I'm a Junior. Hoping to bolt this place next year!

4:05 PM, January 21, 2005  
Blogger Iguana said...

Mayor Nickels here in Seattle said the warm weather was due to global warming. But, not to worry. The City of Seattle is going to sign the Kyoto treaty and all will be fine.

10:44 PM, February 12, 2005  

Post a Comment