Saturday, June 11, 2005

Mr. Reimers goes to Washington

The night air is warm. For the little time I remain here in this beautiful city, its warmth will remind me of all the good friends I have just bid goodbye. Perhaps the feeling will fade as I re-acclimate to Northwest temperatures in a few hours. I met many students who came last year but I get the feeling this year was something more...the fellowship was sweeter, the company brighter--indeed, there is a desperate determination not to lose contact with each other. It has been a stunning trip. I'll always cherish my first memory of Washington. There are so many stories to tell, so many moments to remember, so many friends to retain.

The time has blurred together for now. Three nights spent at the Leadership Institute with the same crowd and many midnight excursions on the Metro through the darkened city is enough to make one lose all sense of time. Perhaps the despicable lack of sleep has something to do with it as well but I’m no expert so don’t quote me.

Later this morning, Mom's cousin Chris will pick up Joshua and I here at the Holiday Inn on 6th... We'll be attending church with him outside the city, rushing back, grabbing a quick lunch and doing some normal touring before he drops us at the airport for the flight home.

Touring? Yeah, you'd think with all the free time we had, we would have found the time to wander more of the main attractions. Alas, we were so busy with other once-in-a-lifetime activities that we didn't get it all done. However, I can claim the honor of being one of a small number of people to go to the top of the Washington Monument at night...that's one story. And how about touring the Capitol with a press-pass--that's another story. How about meeting hearing/meeting the likes of Phyllis Schlafly, Mike Adams and Michelle Malkin? Indeed the spoils seem to pile up don't they?

Thankfully, the pictures are abundant we were able to use Joshua's nicer camera. I hope to have some of those up soon--I have a card reader but I don't know if we will post them before we go to bed.
<< Home 17 Comments:
Blogger Rebekah said...

Pardon the expression Mark darling, but it sounds magical. A shimering, beautiful, fascinating, steeped in history place viewed with your eyes, and through yours, my own starry ones are blessed. Thank you.

I am so glad that you were able to have such a splendid opportunity. And doubly glad that you enjoyed it so thoroughly!

Luvs!

P.S. the lack of sleep shouldn't bother our friend Joshua. I have it on good authority that he would much rather be doing something useful and productive than waste six+ hours in a prone position, completely unaware of the world.

Joshua: Don't mind me my dear boy, I hope you know I'm just teasing you! =)

12:13 PM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Oh Rebekah!! Just as you always do you have brought a smile to my face.

4:01 PM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Nice to know that you had a nice time. You went to Washington D.C. I am correct I hope. (I have a nasty cold right now. Wich as usual has affected my eyes so I can't really see very well right now.) But that is completly off the subject. I have always wanted to see our great capital. Maybe someday I will.

4:05 PM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger CelloChic said...

What? Did you go w/Joshua Stewardson? It can't be!

7:01 PM, June 12, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

You know it's said that some married couples enjoy going to weddings because they get the chance to renew their vows together as they watch the newly weds just starting out in their relationship...where am I going with this??? Well Mark your glowing post about your trip, somewhat bordering on starry eyed enchantment, made me stop and think about my own visits there and that same feeling I have had in the past. Thank you for your eloquence and fantastic use of the enlish language once again. I am thrilled for you that you got to go on this trip and hope that is only one of many that you take there in the coming years. Looking forward to any upcoming pics you might post!

7:11 PM, June 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Incredible! I'm (almost) speechless. Amazing! Fantastic! Can I go next time? Or are you really expecting it to be a once in a lifetime thing? Perhaps yearly?

12:35 AM, June 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a great trip, Mark! Can't wait to hear more about your midnight Metro rides. :) -EBailey

7:24 AM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

Re-read my own post after I posted it and I missed spelled English...ugh...
Sorry I can't spell sometimes...

6:44 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Mark come to my blog as soon as you can!! You have got to see what I did!!

9:08 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Gloria said...

Your going to think I'm nuts!!!!!!

9:08 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Kristi said...

Welcome back Mark! I don't suppose we shall ever be able to bring you back to present now ;)
jk
Fantastic glimmer of your travels you gave us--can't wait to hear more!!!

11:28 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Joshua said...

Wow, Mark, the way you described the trip in the first paragraph was perfect.
You must write more so I can relive it!

Rebekah: Good authority eh? Actually, I polled everybody one night while we were talking in the lobby at 2am or so if they regarded sleep as a gift....and the answer was a resounding "No". So I'm not the only one :) Of course the poll may have been a wee bit skewed since those who were still up at 2am probably already evidenced a slight disdain for sleeping. In addition the group there was mainly comprised of Type A sort of people similar to myself. Well, just a bit more homework and I'm off to enjoy that prone position you regard so highly.
;)

Erin: Why yes, I do believe it was Joshua Stewardson...but I won't go leaping to conclusions.

All: though we weren't able to post the pictures Mark was referring to that night they are now all up at www.smile-awhile.com/summit/

Oh, and Kristi, no I don't believe you will ever get Mark into the present - now he wants to be a tv producer with his great eye for publicity shots (he'll have to explain ;)

11:40 PM, June 14, 2005  
Blogger Joshua said...

P.S. Mark, I like your new picture...I guess I hadn't seen it yet.

12:54 AM, June 15, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Yes yes, I wish I had been a little less "out of it" when I wrote this post... Then I could have really gone to town while the everything was fresh and accessable.

Yeah Joshua, that's the picture so many people keep saying is scary. I'm so rebellious about it though because I think it's not that far off from what I look like. Thinking in those terms then, I can take credit for looking scary.

(at least I can avoid the Orlando Bloom thing-a-ma-jig)

1:25 AM, June 15, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hallo! where's our publicity shot on your page?! I can't believe you put Phyllis Schlafly in but not me. hmph.

and yes -- it was an incredible trip. :)

7:33 PM, June 15, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops that anonymous comment was me. the dork that i am hit enter too soon.

7:33 PM, June 15, 2005  
Blogger Mark said...

Hey Molly!

I did get THE shot up at Western Unraveled. What can I say, I'm an inconsistant bum sometimes :)

11:48 PM, June 15, 2005  

Post a Comment